PDA

View Full Version : Port in back of machine

Amonaug
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Looking at the keypad, underneath the left roller table is a port which looks like a printer port. I cannot find any mention of this in the manual or anywhere. It's the Sear's Compucarve.

What the hell is it for? Curiosity is getting the best of me :)

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Lots of posts and speculation about that port, some say it's for factory testing of the machine,
while others say it maybe for future add on's for the machine. No one seems really sure.
Myself, I think it's there so folks like us will ask each other (what's that port in the back of the machine for)??? http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

DocWheeler
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Amonaug,

There was some speculation sometime back about it being used for diagnostics. I put duct tape over mine before I ever turned on the machine - it has been to Texas three times and the tape has never been removed.

I have no idea what it is for, but I don't think it is for diagnostics.

Amonaug
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Cool, thought I was just and kept missing some mention of it. Oh well, one of life's mysteries I guess.

BTW yeah I guess a search would have helped, guess I didn't use the right words the first time.

hotpop
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm going to the Charolette Show. I'll ask the LHR tech what the port is for. If I find out I'll let you know.

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Mel,

I was expecting something like diagnostics
But I was hoping for a future add on, Like an additional Axis
or maybe a gate way to the fourth dimension
I really doubt it has much to do with chip or dust elimination though,
no matter how hard I try I can't figure out how to hook a vacuum up to it. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Bubbabear
03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
This was told to me by a old forum friend

it is for the fourth axis addition that was supposed to be coming out next year. So you can rotate something and carve all around it.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Wheres Al at when you need him? ;) I know a little about electronics but havnt really looked at the port. My guess would be that if you were well versed in electronics you could follow the wiring and circuitry to the begining to get a better hypothesis. Heres my guess, maybe a computer port so you could hook up your laptop to make on the fly changes to keep from the constant removal of the memory card.

Jeff_Birt
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
There is an old post from last year where one of the CW guys mentioned that the port was for diagnostic purposes and a connection point for future machine add-ons. I think at one time they considered an automatic tool changer.

luckettg
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
I too, like the idea of direct PC hook up and not needing to keep swapping out that card. I think that would be a very nice CW upgrade.
Greg Luckett
Michigan

www.go3d.us
03-07-2008, 05:13 PM
There is another port inside the machine on the keypad side. If you open the front cover and look to your left, you'll see it.
hmmm...Any idea what's that for?

HT

Kenm810
03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Yep that's the new plug-in point for the scanner

www.go3d.us
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Ahh? Thanks for the photos.
HT