PDA

View Full Version : Please look at his file

optionman
03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Can someone please tell me how the machine will carve the two designs on my sample? i'm confused?

DocWheeler
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
optionman,

I'm not sure what the confuson is here but I think that you will not get what you expect from the carve. The letters will chip out unless you apply some draft or you are real lucky. Also because the carving bit is tapered, you will get some feathering on the tops and bottoms of the letters where they attach to the angled sides.

Just my thoughts.

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I also noticed that the letter "M" are very thin with your depth setting at
.300---100, you could add a little thickness at .250---500 with the draft to limit the chip out.

AskBud
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Doc & Ken,
Does the Black indicate the he will be cutting "Through" the board?
AskBud

DocWheeler
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Bud and Ken,

Bud, yes his depth cut all the way through.

Ken, I had not tilted the project, good thought. My new mouse does not work like my old one where pressing the scroolwheel allowed me to tilt.

Ron
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
if you hit the R on the bar on top you'll see if its gonna go through

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Hey Ken,

I think you may remember from an earlier post or pm,
why everything I look at on a good day is a little tilted --- on a bad a lot tilted. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

ps Can ya tell I'm kind of board --- my machine is still in Texas

optionman
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
ok, i understand the need for a little draft to prevent chipping and that i should raise the depth and height of the M. On the cut-thru sample however, what exactly will the machine do? will it leave tabs which will allow me to take the inner circle out of the board?

one last question (for today), do any of the fonts have connected letters so that if u connect the first and last letters of a word to the edges, the middle letters have support?

my machine ships tomorrow

AskBud
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Try Edwardian Script, it appears to do the job.
AskBud

hotpop
03-06-2008, 10:27 PM
optionman

Take a look at the two sites below. There are hundreds of free fonts you can down load.

http://www.1001fonts.com/index.html

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=115

luckettg
03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
How does Designer import fonts? I have looked at those two links, thank you for them, and see how to import to the Windows fonts, but I do not know how the CW software finds its fonts.
Thank you,
Greg Luckett

AskBud
03-07-2008, 07:33 AM
The Fonts are placed in your normal Fonts Folder in the usual way.
Designer simply uses what you have on file. Just follow your standard Window's or Mac help screen(s).

Here is the FAQ from CW:
What text fonts will the machine carve?
The CarveWright design software is able to use all fonts installed on your system. There are
three distinct text effects that can be created with the software. Raster mode carves the letters
with thin passes, one after another; similar to the way a printer works. Outlining text produces a
cut at the perimeter of the letter. Center-lining the text will generate a centerline and will vary
the depth of the cutting bit based on the width of the original font. The center-lining carving is
done with a 60 or 90-degree v-groove bit. The centerline functionality will be available in the
advanced software package.

AskBud

optionman
03-07-2008, 08:25 AM
(1)i have a gold plated rose w/stem and leaves which would be amazing to scan. will the scanning tool damage the item? i don't know how much force it uses. mounting to a sled won't be an issue.
(2)if u create a region with 1/2in feathering, can centerline carve text into the sloped walls of the region created by the feathering?

thanks

hotpop
03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't have a probe but I've seen it in action. As soon as it touches an object it sends x,y,and z data to the machines internal computer then then goes to touch a new spot. The touch is very gentle.

Centerline text will only cut on the top surface of your board and not in regions.

DocWheeler
03-07-2008, 09:19 AM
optionman,

Yes it will scratch it!

forqnc
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Optionman, check this post from awhile back.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2523&highlight=scratch