PDA

View Full Version : Ptn

bjbethke
03-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I have some patterns I downloaded, and some that I made from Drawings and Clip Art. I found. I stored them on a CD (approx. 288MB so far). (Over 100ea I made).

I would be willing to send a CD of theses patterns to anyone for a donation to cover the shipping, handling & time (Packaging and ECT.)

Please send the donation to my PO Box 652, address below.

Each PTN I made includes Image (pos/neg), PTN, MPW, and MPC.

I do not have automatic equipment to make the CD’s, so if I get a large response, it may take some time to get them all mailed out. I don’t have a WEB site, I only have Dial Up. I live back in the hills of Arkansas.

The MPW and Zip file (203.8KB) would not upload

DocWheeler
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
BJ,

That is a generous offer, perhaps you should look into selling them on eBay!

bjbethke
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Ken, generous, true, if I had to purchase all the patterns I used for my doors. I did most of the work with Photoshop CS2, Just a lot of pushing buttons.

I needed Patterns for my use, some are made by scanning items. Others were from Art Work found on the WEB, and old Clip Art from my printing days.

I downloaded a lot of patterns from this FORUM, and they will be on the CD also.

I am not really looking to sell patterns, I need them for my use. It’s hard for me to post patterns on the forum with Dial Up internet.

I don’t think I will loose money by mailing this CD, if I get enough donations. Thanks

Semper Fi
03-06-2008, 06:02 PM
BJ, please check your pm.

gmalanoski
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I am not really looking to sell patterns, I need them for my use. It’s hard for me to post patterns on the forum with Dial Up internet.

I don’t think I will loose money by mailing this CD, if I get enough donations.

BJ,

If you are serious about this, and you are up to it, you can get me a copy of the file(s) and I can post them on the web for you. That would save the hassle of mailing them out.

I'll leave it up to you. :)

Greg

JamesB
03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
bjbethke, the image you have posted of the Rocking Horse looks an awful lot like one of our models on Vector Art 3D (which is available through the Pattern Depot). I have not been able to look at your actual file but I would appreciate if you can verify that this is your own work and not something derived from our artist design? If it is derived from our design then please remove it from the forum as it is copyright to our artist. I will attach an image so you can see the image from our site I am referring to. This is not meant to accuse - in looking at the image though I cannot see a difference.

Thanks,
James

bjbethke
03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
James B, The photo you posted looks a lot like the JPEG I downloaded from the WEB. The one I downloaded did not have a copyright mark on it. I did not do the art work. I just redid the JPEG to make a pattern for myself. I search the WEB for images to use for my patterns, and I have lots of images from old files I used when I was running a printing business. Photos, Clip Art and ECT. If the image is not marked with a copyright mark on it I would not know if it was copyrighted or not. There are lots of good images on the WED to use for patterns.

badger
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Thats just one statement from the source. You do not have to apply the copyright mark anymore and havent for some time. Just didnt want to bust anyone's bubble. Just because you see an image on web doesnt mean it isnt copyrighted. Your restricted from reposting the same design which is what JamesB is referring too.

JamesB
03-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Thank you for removing it. As the poster above says the image does not need to have a copyright sign on it for it to be copyright. The entire contents of most websites is copyright (including ours), technically there is nothing from stopping you from downloading an image (even though it is copyright). However to then take that and distribute it or post it for download even in modified form is not OK (even if your not charging). Before sending out disks or posting your work for download you need to be sure it is not someone elses copyright. That rocking horse is 100% original from one of our artists - he even sketched the design before making the computer model. The original can be bought from the Pattern Depot (look for Rocking Horse 2). I understand that this has not been done deliberately but I am concerned that some of the other models you have may also be based on images from our site so if you want me to check on the other files you have to make sure they are not based on any of our stuff you can email or mail the jpegs to me: jab(at)carve3d(dot)com

Thanks,
James

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
bjbethke, Well that didnt go too well, but thanks for the offer im sure that your intentions were true and there was no intent to do anything but try to be helpful. So thanks.

bjbethke
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
“The art is in the public domain if it was published in the United States before 1923. Art is published for copyright purposes whenever copies are made available to the general public -- for example, photographs, postcards, prints, lithographs, castings from a statue, and other reproductions. Art is also deemed published if it was exhibited before 1978 at a place in which the public is permitted to photograph or copy the artwork”.

“If the art is in the public domain and the photo is an exact duplication of the painting or fresco, you are free to copy the work.”

I think photographs, postcards, prints, lithographs, castings from a statue, and other reproductions posted on the WEB in advertisements are in public domain.

http://www.constitution.org/1ll/court/fed/bridgman.html

badger
03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Well your taking a risk there. You cannot be for sure that all images you find on the web are the original. You are not sure that whoever posted that image had the right to do so.

Doesnt really matter. This conversation will go on forever. This is one of those deals that everyone knows exist but no one wants to talk about.

I believe if someone wants to know anything about this topic they should go research it themselves. Articles on copyright law will bog down this server if even but just a small percentage of everything ever written about copyrights was posted.

Here is a start: http://www.copyright.gov/

It is everyones responsibility on their own to figure this out. Just be aware that if you get a subpoena delivered to you dont try and say in court well on this forum they told me it was ok. Not gonna work. :lol:

dasch
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
“The art is in the public domain if it was published in the United States before 1923. Art is published for copyright purposes whenever copies are made available to the general public -- for example, photographs, postcards, prints, lithographs, castings from a statue, and other reproductions. Art is also deemed published if it was exhibited before 1978 at a place in which the public is permitted to photograph or copy the artwork”.

“If the art is in the public domain and the photo is an exact duplication of the painting or fresco, you are free to copy the work.”

I think photographs, postcards, prints, lithographs, castings from a statue, and other reproductions posted on the WEB in advertisements are in public domain.

Hi Folks:
I thought I should chime in here. I created the Rocking Horse art for VectorArt3D.
You must look very closely and do some research to find out whether things are in public domain or not. Because they are on the web does NOT make them public domain regardless of how they are being used - editorially or as advertising.
Look at the dates in the paragraph above: Created BEFORE 1923, or displayed as a public art piece before 1978.
I created this rocking horse model specifically for sale as dimensional clipart and it has only been in publication for a month or so.

As a rule I do not base my models or illustrations upon others' designs - though I may use images as reference.

Anyway, all the best and please try to avoid any copyright violations!

cheers,
Dasch

bjbethke
03-11-2008, 05:53 AM
This was a response I sent, for a request for a CD.

Hi XXXXXXX, I'm not into the selling of PTN's, I just offered to send out a CD to show people how I stored my files. I was only looking for a donation for the shipping and handling for doing this. I live about 10 miles from the nearest Post Office, and the mailing labels and CD's or DVD's have a cost to them. I did not know if I would get a large response to this. And it would cost me lots of money to send these out. My computer loads lots of images in my computer JUNK files when I search the web. I use Windows 98 on the computer I search the WEB with. Theses are all reproductions of images in the public domain. I look at them with a program called "Picasa" (it was a free download at one time, it still may be.). Some times I find photos that my kids had sent me and I forgot to down load theses at the time I received them, so I look at these files before I clean my hard drive. These files are stored in the Internet Windows file. At times there are 3D images that work with the CW. It takes a lot of cleaning up the JPEG images to get a good PTN. In this folder there is no way to tell where these images came from.

Can your computer read DVD's? I downloaded some videos from Blender, I could include them. Any donation to cover the cost would be great. Send me your address and I will send you a copy, use my PO Box 652, Yellville, AR 72687-0652. It is easier to keep my records straight if I receive the replies in my PO Box. Thanks

I agree with your statement: "I download pictures off Internet all the time and use then-- if they don't want us to use them they should put a watermark on them."

This is INFO, I found on the WEB about Copyrights.

WHAT DID THE COURT DECIDE?
The Court ruled that reproductions of images in the public domain are not protected by copyright if the reproductions are slavish or lacking in originality.
In their opinion, the Court noted: ''There is little doubt that many photographs, probably the overwhelming majority, reflect at least the modest amount of originality required for copyright protection.... But 'slavish copying', although doubtless requiring technical skill and effort, does not qualify.''
In other words, an exact reproduction of an image in the public domain does not possess creativity itself. Therefore, the reproduction is not protected under copyright law.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Reproduction Images posted on the WEB are in the public domain.

http://www.copyright.gov/ also covers this.

badger
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Its a mute point. Your trying to convince people thats its ok by your interpretation of what you read.

Im just trying to tell people be careful what others say on here about what is or isnt allowed. Your all adults here. Its your responsibility as an adult to know right from wrong. In a court of law (civil or criminal) Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

So make your own decisions.

HighTechOkie
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
BJ, you really need to read the entire Copyright Act as well as the Digital Milenium Copyright Act (DMCA). Just because an image is posted on the web does not make it "public domain." The Copyright Act also states that placing "copyright" and the year or abbreviated to the copyright symbol (c), protects the entire work and all the pieces that make up that work.

JamesB, as the copyright holder of the rocking horse image, has respectfully requested that you remove that image and any others that were generated from his site. He has invested a great deal of time and money to create those images (and the 3D design they are taken from). Please respect the artists by not giving away reproductions of their designs.

Your motives however generous are breaking copyright law. Each violation caries a $10,000 fine. That means each CD would be a $10,000 fine for just the rocking horse, and $10,000 for each additional image that was created by JamesB and/or Vector3D.

This is not to be taken as legal advice, and is only my opinion. I am not an attorney. I would recommend you consult with a qualified attorney before acting on any information provided in this message. :)

Rob

Amonaug
03-11-2008, 10:29 AM
You will have to registar for a free account to this but it has many good threads on copyright for artists

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showforum.php?forum_id=12395

Just because it's on the internet or in your temporary internet folder DOES NOT make it public domain. Copyright is implied on all artwork after a certain year (check copyright law) and most are explicitly mentioned on the website that the image is posted on. But then it's not all black and white either as different countries have different laws which makes it even muddier.

Best rule of thumb is, if it isn't yours or you haven't purchased it with anything saying that you can resell it or give it away then DON'T. For example, you can buy a 3D model which you can't give away or sell but you can give away or sell renders that you make with that model.

It's not a good idea to try and give away patterns made with images from the temporary folder as you have already stated you have no idea where those images came from. Just because you don't know where they came from does not absolve you from copyright laws.

Jeff_Birt
03-11-2008, 11:23 AM
OK, folks. This issue has been beaten to death (again). Please let it drop.