PDA

View Full Version : Hobby machine or what?

wood-of-1kind
03-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Ok, I'm very new here but would like to ask a basic question to those that have purchased a CW:

Is your machine used as a hobby tool or is the machine seen more as 'light' duty production (ie repeat craft sales)?

-Peter-:grin:

Cmdr.Rav
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Peter, first off I noticed you are from Canada. That is not a problem, but there are other members that live in Canada and have problems getting service. One is shipping and another was using a credit card to be able to get new parts sent to them. Just a thought before buying a machine. Unless you are really close to the border and have a source in the States.

As forth to the machine it is designed as a hobbyist tool, but many use it for much more(ie craft shows) With the time it takes to carve most things and the constant use I think it is more then a hobby type machine! It will create wonderful projects for you, but keep in mind the possibility of needing service and the difficulty of getting service living in Canada.

Rav

wood-of-1kind
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Peter, first off I noticed you are from Canada. That is not a problem, Rav

Hi Rav,
thanks for the input. Today is a problem if you live out my way (10" of snow).Not having much fun :(

Cmdr.Rav
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Yuck! Our snow has melted, I just wanted to share the problems others from Canada have experience with obtaining service. One more point the machine doesn't like the cold, so you need a warm shop!

Rav

deemon328
03-06-2008, 06:33 AM
You can make completely 'off-the-hook awesome' stuff with the CW. IMO, vector cuts are far inferior to raster cuts, so your type of usage will determine your degree of happiness. Keep the machine clean, and you should be good to go.

If I were giving some advice, it would be to not even try and figure out what the forum has determined the word hobby to mean in relation to the CW. Just use it and you'll figure out ways to exploit it's potential.

I use mine to add detail to otherwise standard furniture, and it's awesome for that task.

Here's some photos of my recent bed. (http://web.mac.com/dustinyoder/Site/Grants_Bed.html)

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Well put,

That's what most of the Folks are doing every day.
Through new ideas as they climb the learning curve for for their CW or CC Machines.
We're finding new forms of expressions for these Machines in every new Carved Project.

More the 30 pieces were included in the opening of an Exhibition
and Sale Last Friday at a Fine Arts Gallery