PDA

View Full Version : Z axis stall error 246

David Myers
03-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Well now I have a bad z motor or controller board.
I updated my software from 1.125 to 1.126 Sunday night to correct some of the disapearing cut paths that I was getting and I went to the shop to carve a sign out of Corian and the machine started fine ran for an hour and stopped. LCD read z axis stall error 246. I called LHR and got a tech on the first try. Went thru a list of things to try and it comes down to 2 things a bad z motor (this was up-graded in January when it was in Texas for repairs) or controller board. Tech asked me if I was OK with installing a new z motor or did I want to ship the machine back to Texas. I'm ok with doing the work (I've taken this thing apart numerous times to fix little glitches. Now the interesting part is if the new z motor does not fix the problem they will then send me a new controller board. Does anyone know were I can get a set of schematics for the circuit boards so I can test them while the machine is down waiting for parts.
Before anyone says it, I also know that updateing my software did not cause this problem.
I still love the machine the service is great (when you get to talk to a live person), the more I learn about the machine the less frustrated I get.

David Myers
03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Well I have my machine taken apart. I pulled the z axis motor last night and found another problem. When my machine was in Texas for repair they had done an upgrade to the z motor pack. when they installed it they had a severe bend in the white ribbon cable under the black cover. It appears that movement and vibration had caused the bottom three wires to break in the cable. Called LHR got them on the phone first try and they are sending me a new ribbon cable. So while I have the machine in pieces I'm cleaning, lubricating, tightening and adjusting everything. I hope to be up and running next week. I'll post any other surprises I encounter.

Note: I have found that these machines are very easy to work on.

David

David Myers
03-10-2008, 07:18 PM
The 14 pin ribbon cable came Saturday and the new Z axis motor came today.
Installed them both started the machine please close lid error. I taped the lid closed with extra pressure at the switches and the machine ran fine for half of the carve then please close lid error again and no matter what I tried I could not get the machine to start again. trashed a 3 hour carve and called LHR (third time not a charm I did not get right thru to tech support) operator said tech would call me back, that was 3 hours ago. Tomorrow I will remove top and check switches and figure out how to overide or replace one or both. Machine stil under warranty but I'm spending a lot of time doing the repair work my self. When it works it works great.
Enough complaining for tonight. Tomorrow will be a better day.

David

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I just went through the Z problem too with air and gouge carving. I thought it was the flat cable but when I swapped it with my backup machine it did not fix the problem. Then I swapped the Z motor and that fixed it. A new Z motor is on the way.

Remember the cover switch white plug will fit either way. White wire toward the center is correct.

Good Luck,

AL

David Myers
03-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Al,

The wires are correct. The close cover error started when I started the project. I noticed that if I pushed on the cover it would start then stop when I removed the pressure. I taped the cover down and the project started and ran for 50% of the carve. When I went to clean out some of the dust and debris I openred the cover and I could not get it to restart again. The polarity of the switches on the left side is critical but the right side does not matter that is just the ac cut off switch to the router motor.
I did notice that I have a hair line crack on the left hinge on the cover, but I pushed the switch lever by hand and nothing happened. I will try to call LHR again today and remove the top and check the switches with a volt meter after work.
I'm currently getting about 1-2 projects carved then I have to do some type of major/minor repair.
I'm glad I have this as a hobbie and not used to support my family.

David

Kenm810
03-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Quote -- I pushed the switch lever by hand and nothing happened.

I've had switch problems a few times,
Can you here the switch click when you push the actuator by hand

The first time it mdf dust jammed in the switch. / I sprayed a shot of electrical contact cleaner in the actuator slot
and it started working again

The next time the switch slid back a fraction of an inch and would stop the machine any time the clear lid would vibrate. / I loosened the screw holding the switch - push it forward and retightened the screws

The last time I use my volt meter and found the switch was dead / I call LHR and they mail one out to me, I installed the new switch

Ps And Still Is

David Myers
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Ken,

If I remember from last night? I could hear and feel the switch click on the AC cut off switch for the router. but I do not recall hearing the left side switch click. I was going to pull the top and check the switchs for continuity (open/close). If they check out ok I'll also try to reposition them forward. Is there any thing else I should try?

Thanks for the help.

David

Kenm810
03-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Just got Back,

Ya a another thought,
Did you check the connector at the other end of the wires, where it plugs in to the circuit board, mine came loose a couple of times when I used to much air pressure to blow out the machine.
Instead of taking the top off, I pushed it back in with a soda straw through one of the vent slots in the back of the machine.
later I found that if I crank the head of the machine up you can reach it, and plug it back in with my fingers.

David Myers
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Ken,

I'll check it all out tonight when I get home from work. I will also check for dust build up in the switch.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

David

David Myers
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Ken,

Just got off the phone with the tech at LHR and they are sending me a new switch. I checked them both with the volt meter and the AC router switch was fine the other one was bad. So I removed the switch, wire, connector and probe plug and rewired a small switch to replace the bad one until the new one gets here 5-6 work days. I installed the switch re-assembled the machine and checked all the sensors and every thing was fine I even started a test carve with out a glitch.
Thanks for your in-puts.

P.S. You will need a heat gun to get the darn switch and wires out of the top they sure did not skimp on the hot melt glue.

David

David Myers
03-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Latest update I got the new switch from LHR and installed it (saved the one I made to over ride the close cover error). I had a few carvings I had drawn while I waited for the new switch. After I installed the new switch and started the machine it tore a belt while measuring the board (just my luck). I call LHR and place an order for a couple of sets (belts to have a few spares) plus I ordered the bit adjustment tool, and chuck wrench and allen wrench (to save on shipping costs). My order arrived yesterday and the way they packed the parts with the belts on the bottom, wrenches on top of the belts and bubble wrap crammed on top with UPS fine shipping practices the wrenches had torn a hole in one set of belts (glad I ordered a few sets). I called LHR and they wanted a picture of the damage which I supplied and they are sending a new set of belts.
Note: The new set of belts come with instructions and rods to lock the springs in place while you slip off the old and slip on the new ones.

David

Kenm810
03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Seems like it's been a long 2 weeks,
But it looks like your finally getting there. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

David Myers
03-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Ken,

I hope I'm over the hump and things start working better. I do a few carvings and I break down for a week. I'm glad I bought this thing for fun because if I had to make a living using this I would starve. On a good note, I can now trouble shoot problems and tear my machine down and re-build it very fast. Learning more about my CompuCarve every day.

David

RanUtah
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Anything in regards to your Z axis stall error?

David Myers
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM
RanUtah,

Yes, I got it fixed, LHR sent me a new z motor and 14 pin flat cable and the error went away. Then I had a close cover error and the left side switch was bad so I disabled it untill LHR sent me a new one. My machine is working fine now. If you look thru the tread I explain all the problems I had and the solutions that I got from the tech's from LHR. I started with a machine from SEARS and it was beat up in delivery from UPS and I think I'm over the hump (knock on wood). Everything seems to be working better.

David

Jeff_Birt
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Jack, give CW a call and talk to tech support...

MikeMcCoy
04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Jack - I had the same problem when I first used mine. Mine turned out to be an operator problem in that my flex shaft wasn't seated completely. You could barely tell it but evidently it doesn't have to be out by much since I could get about 15 minutes in to a carve.