PDA

View Full Version : Possible Virus

Cmdr.Rav
03-04-2008, 02:58 AM
I must first state I am not saying I downloaded a virus from this forum. However I did come in contact with 3 virus', two called downloader and a common trojan.

Again I am not saying the virus' came from here I would like to warn everybody of a possibility. Although slim I am sure this site has security measures in action.

I am covering my bases and thought I should share this with the forum. I have downloaded other files from sites other then this one. But I download patterns from here more then any other site, so just in case I needed to share the alert.

I would like to know if anyone else has came in contact with a virus called "downloader or a trojan? I am almost sure it came from elsewhere, but this is the second time in a few months this has happened to me. The only constant has been the CW forum.

Thank you,

Rav

The "DH"
03-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Now that you bring it up. That is a valid question. Do the LHR servers screen all files posted for a potental virus? I'm pretty sure they do but would like to know for sure and knowing my ignorance they probably have a statement somewhere in the forum that covers this topic.

Jeff_Birt
03-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Viruses, etc will generally come from executable files downloaded and run on your PC or a security hole in your browser that allows a malicious website to get to places on your PC it should not be able to get.

All of the files we share here are not executable files, they are just data (patterns, MPC's, etc). Even zipped files should not have executable files in them.

As, always it is wise to have an anti-virus program running on your computer to keep things like this at bay. Also, make sure you are using an up to date browser.

Deolman
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Jeff brings up some very valid points. Some of the downloader virus are a nasty lot. On occasion you need to go to some place like Symantec's web site for full instructions on how to erradicate them. They quite often disguise a duplicate form that will re-install itself later after your anti-virus has cleaned it out. Or, sometimes the system restore will restore it for them.

Cmdr.Rav
03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Good! I am glad to hear it wasn't from here! One less thing to worry about! I really thought it was most likely from spam mail. But just in case I wanted to warn others and most of rule out the forum as the source.

I did manage to get rid of them, I found them because of having Norton. It eneded up being something I deleted and was sitting in the recycle bin. I had to go in safe mode and remove them then run another scan in safe mode. It was clear so I open normal windows and ran a scan. All clear!

Anyway I wasn't trying to cause a scare, just needed reinsurance for myself!

Thanks
Rav

badger
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
A virus can come from any download. Now Jeff is correct that they will be an exe. file however that file can be hidden in any other type of file you download then open.

It is almost a must now adays to have a type of virus detection running any time you download any kind of file. Someone that uploads a file here for people to share might not be the ones that are doing it on purpose however that doesnt mean that they are not running a virus protection program to safeguard the files they wish others to share.

The virus could be attached in one way or another where he or she was not aware of when they tried to share it.

Everyone downloading or uploading files here to be shared should be running a virus protection program. Last thing you would want to do is ruin your flash card with a corrupted file.

Dave-Carve
03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
The Virus Your talking about Probally Came from a FREE TRIAL VERSION of CORELDRAW ..Gotten it several times in free demo of COREL V3:confused: and Others ....From COREL Co.
Did You DELETE the trial version???? (Thats when you get it) .....
( Easy fix:D) !!!

What it does ---- Tells Updater to reinstall Corel ???
It Trys To Reinstall When Computer is rebooted and cannot find it ??????
And Just Keeps Looking and Looking and Looking and looking .......

If Thats the one You Have it is easy to fix .....
If Not I Havent recived any but from COREL ,,, Good luck !!!

TerryT
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
The other day I went to a site listed in one of the threads here. It was for the home made 3d scanner. I opened something from the site, don't remember what it was but it was in PDF format. My virus detection program instantly put a warning on the screen that a virus had been detected. I did a virus scan and it was remove easily.

Now I remember, I clicked on one of the pictures in the gallery, submitted by folks that make scans. It was in PDF format and, I believe, contained the virus.

Cmdr.Rav
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
The Virus Your talking about Probally Came from a FREE TRIAL VERSION of CORELDRAW ..Gotten it several times in free demo of COREL V3:confused: and Others ....From COREL Co.
Did You DELETE the trial version???? (Thats when you get it) .....
( Easy fix:D) !!!

What it does ---- Tells Updater to reinstall Corel ???
It Trys To Reinstall When Computer is rebooted and cannot find it ??????
And Just Keeps Looking and Looking and Looking and looking .......

If Thats the one You Have it is easy to fix .....
If Not I Havent recived any but from COREL ,,, Good luck !!!

Dave, thanks but I know it is wasn't Corel, I have Corel so I haven't downloaded any Corel. But thanks for the heads up! I still don't know where it came from? I am just happy it is gone!

Terry, I must have deleted maybe from Norton, it was in my recycle bin. It made my computer programs not to open. Then if I rebooted it it would never close down without hard booting it.
Rav

Jeff_Birt
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Rav - on a side note I have had mixed results with Norten. It came on my daughters laptop and I had fits with it for a year before removing it and using McAfee. I just got tired of Norten blocking things like wireless printing to a shared printer, etc. Seemed like I had to disable it to do several 'normal' things, which did not appear to be that great of an idea.

I went with McAffee as I can use it for free as our campus has a volume license agreement that covers all employee/student computers that connect to the campus network, AND I have used it since my first Windows 95 machine. I also have a friend that uses Nod32 and reports that it works very well.

Bubbabear
03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Viruses can be hidden in an file so we need to have a good AV on our system. Me i am favorable to AVG by grisoft they have a great free one I have used ever since Norton and mcafee both became bloatware. www.free.grisoft.com

Cmdr.Rav
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Jeff, I never had any problems with Norton, I used McAfee before I just have had good luck with Norton. But if this continues I might consider McAfee!

You must be a professor or teacher as you told us about a campus? Where do you teach? Well thanks, (oh I guess CW isn't going to honor my request! ;))

Rav

liquidguitars
03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
AVG by grisoft works best for me 2

LG

gmalanoski
03-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I too vote for AVG. I, as does Jeff and others, work with computers all day (and night). Over the years I have tried several antivirus packages and I have never been satisfied with one like I have been with AVG. Now, this isn't in anyway a plug for them. If you want to spend $20-$30/year for definition updates, by all means, choose any product. If not, AVG has has a free version.

For those who aren't very fluent with a computer, an exectuable file is not always an exe. Other types can include .com and .scr files. Not only do you have to worry about viruses, but there are other types of exploits which can be attached to any type of file (like picture images).

If you do not have a router with a firewall between your pc and the internet, I would highly recommend running one on your pc. This may lead you back to the McAfee or Norton products (though there are free firewalls too). Sometimes it is simply easier to install a single product suite that handles everything rather than maintaining software from several vendors.

You yourself should be the judge of what you need to run. If you surf the web constantly going to questionable sites, or use messenger programs, you probably ought to seriously consider protecting yourself. A good virus package, a good firewall, regularly applying software patches, and occasionally scanning your system for spyware can go a long way towards maintaining a smooth running pc!

swhitney
03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I like AVG as well, and it does not seem to hog all the CPU cycles!!!

ChrisAlb
03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
One of the most resource wasting applications on the market today. And WAY too many "behind the scenes" operations you have no control over. I used it years ago when it was part of the original PC Tools for win 3.1 and 98. (Those of you old time users know about PC Tools). Not today's PC Tools.

Ever since Symantic bought it, it got big, bloated and slow. Been going down hill ever since.

Eagle Hollow
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I've run the McAfee security suite for 8 years with no problems whatsoever.

Jerry

Cmdr.Rav
03-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Lol, talk about getting off topic! I was just wanting to warn other members just in case this has happened to anyone else. I have been happy with Norton and I will continue to use it. I have used McAfee and was not impressed with it at all.But that doesn't mean if someone uses Norton or McAfee or AVG is right or wrong! It just a matter of choice!

Anyway again I was just wanted to warn of any possible danger. I am just happy I was able to get rid of the virus'. Thanks to all for the advice for different virus protection, if I do want to change I now have more choices!

Rav

eromran
03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
I like AVG as well, and it does not seem to hog all the CPU cycles!!!
After hear all this talk about Trojans and viruses i decided to try the AVG spoken of worked great found 8 Trojans and i have tried the corel download mentioned earlier. Thanks to every one for talking about this.

Cmdr.Rav
03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Ok I give in!! I think I better try AVG, I don't want another night staying up to 1:30 am removing virus'! Norton caught them, but sounds like AVG will find more? As I said I have Corel I bought and not downloaded. Plus the virus' were in my recycle bin so I not sure where the came from.

But I am glad it help you Ed and I was able to rule out the forum as a source.

Rav

PS. Ed I ran the free AVG and it found a trojan I remember Norton catching it, but I guess it didn't remove it?

Amonaug
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Another free anti-virus software people may want to try is Avast!

The home edition is free of charge with needing a new key every year which is also free.

Bubbabear
03-05-2008, 07:02 PM
For our more computer challenged friends that may not know. Always uninstall old AV program before installing a new AV program as they will clash bad and cause major issues.

Easy answer never have two anitvirus programs installed at once