PDA

View Full Version : CW Memory Card

sweliver
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
What type of memory card is the CW's?

I've got 6 standard slots on my Gateway laptop...one seems to be the same general size but I don't want to jam the CW card in and destroy both. So far I've only used the Memory Stick Pro and Duo...I've got no experience with the CW type.

I find it hard to believe CW reinvented the wheel on memory cards.

sw

Kenm810
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Nope don't do it, a few folks tried it ---with bad results http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

gmalanoski
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
The card appears to be an ATA Type II Flash card of some sort. I am not a memory expert and know very little about it. However, I did look into this a few months ago and even tried a 48MB SimpleTech card (like used in Cisco routers) with no luck. The reader didn't recognize it. In fact, Windows reacted to the card (unlike the oem card).

I too don't believe that the mfg designed a proprietary card. In fact, someone from LHR told me that it was proprietary and I wrote the statement off as them trying to protect their market (as any sensible company would do). Considering the relatively small run (not hundreds of thousands) it would seem to be extremely expensive to go proprietary and non-mainstream. The card I tried (I believe) contained Compact Flash. They also make cards with Linear Flash which I haven't tried.

If anyone has a bad card, it sure would be nice to take it apart and investigate. I'm almost certain one could find a larger capacity card for a cheaper price.

Before anyone goes sticking anything in their machine, you should understand that you are assuming a risk and could damage your equipment. If you aren't familiar with what you are doing...just don't do it!

hotpop
03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
The CC/CW machines come with a USB adapter for uploading your program file to the flash card. There is no reason to try and stick any place else.