PDA

View Full Version : Finished This Carve - What Do You Think?

cnsranch
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Designed this, and finished the initial carve a few weeks ago. Been real cold here in the KC area, so I couldn't rout the edges till yesterday. Used poplar, turned out pretty good, except I lost some detail at the surface - guess I had my patterns too close. Also had some chip-out with the larger letters, but cleaning them up with a steel brush and Dremel took care of most of it.

3.5 hour carve. - First attachment of a jpeg, apologies in advance if it doesn't upload properly.

Jeff_Birt
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Very nice! The last few versions of Designer have a new feature called draft. It makes a slightly sloping edge to any object on your board in Designer. It really helps to prevent chip out on text.

cnsranch
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Based on some comments thru the Forum before I hit the go button, I did use draft for the smaller fonts, but wasn't real crazy about the look on the larger stuff. Live and learn, the carve turned out exactly like the project in the CW software, I just didn't wand to believe what I was seeing!

Jeff_Birt
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it can tend to splay out quite a bit on larger or taller fonts. I have also found that by reducing the amount the letters stand proud of their background can help out a lot too.

The "DH"
03-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Very nice sign... I agree with Jeff, if you reduce the letters to the background they well come out better. I usually set them to 40 or 50 and get very good results with little or no chipout on many different kinds of wood.

hotpop
03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
cnsranch

That's a great looking Piece.;)

I was going to suggest lowering text height and a small draft but since the other guys suggested it, I won't.:p

Hope to see some more of your great creations soon.:)

wes_
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Looks great, I am a newbie, but think it looks great.