PDA

View Full Version : Bit Question

peter_l
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi All,

Ordered my CC/CW, will be here on Wednesday.

I am looking at making mainly signs and folks have recommeded the 60* and 90* bits.

Can I use a regular 1/4" shank router bit, or do I need to use the Carvewright bits?

From looking at the bits (on-line) they appear to be regular router bits, but wanted to ask.

Thanks

Pete

Kenm810
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
The 3 way the CW or CC machine carves text are Raster, Outline, that come with the machine and Centerline that you can buy from the CarveWright online store --- Centerline is fast becoming the favorite for carving Signs, you will need the 60 and 90 degree bit for best results in Centerline. The Carving Bit that comes with your machine is fine for Outline or Raster Text

ps You have to have Centerline to manipulate the Centerline Text in an existing .mpc file
PPs Thanks Rob
Attached Fileshttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/attach/mpc.gifText Test.mpc (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9456&d=1202910868) (4.4

HighTechOkie
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Just an FYI, you do not need to have centerline to see centerline text in a MPC. You just can't change anything.

Rob

DocWheeler
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Peter,

Yes, you can use other sources of bits. They just need to be good quality carbide cutting edges that can operate at a little over 20,000 rpm I think.

wood-of-1kind
03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
What shank size (diameter) does the CW require?

-Peter-

hotpop
03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Peter,

The bit used for centerline text is 90 an 60 degree. are 1/4" shanks.

Don't forget that you will also need to buy adapters with them so for your first bit purchase I'd advise going to CarveWright or other authorized dealer. The bits with adapters seemed to be priced right. You might save a couple of bucks elsewhere but I don't think its worth ti.

cnsranch
03-05-2008, 02:40 PM
The adapters are reasonable at $5-$6 ea. (sorry, can't remember exactly). Problem is, when I ordered 2, the shipping was $12. So, using $23 bits from wood worker's supply probably didn't save me anything. The bits are $29 thru CW, but you still have to buy the adapters. Shipping can't be that much more, if any, when you order bits as well.

Kenm810
03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Sears has Bits and Adapter for the CW and CC machines.
You can order them online and have them sent to a local sears store,
where you can pick them up and not have to pay any shipping.
I always keep extra Bits and a couple of 3 pack of 1/4" and 1/2" Adapters in reserve.
Their 1/4" Carving and Cutting Bit come with an Adapter for your Machine.

wood-of-1kind
03-06-2008, 09:14 AM
OK, so the machine CAN use 1/4" as well as 1/2" shank router bits and are use with collet holders? Although I do not own a machine, I'm very interested in the tool "options" that this machine can utilize.

-Peter-

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Ron Justice A fellow forum member[rjustice@hughes.net]
has made 1/8 inch adapters and bits along with 1/4 inch adapters
and tools to aid in the changing of the Quick Change Chucks used on the CW and CC Machines

agriline
03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Sears has Bits and Adapter for the CW and CC machines.
You can order them online and have them sent to a local sears store,
where you can pick them up and not have to pay any shipping.
I always keep extra Bits and a couple of 3 pack of 1/4" and 1/2" Adapters in reserve.
Their 1/4" Carving and Cutting Bit come with an Adapter for your Machine.
I still have a question on where to purchase the bits without the adapters. I tried CW but they only sell the cutting and carving bits with the adapters even though they have a manual that explains how to replace the bits in the adapters. On this message for purchasing the bits at Sears shows the bits but the description says with adapter. I only want the bits only. Someone else said CW had them for $29 but when I tried to buy the bits only they said they do not sell that way, it only comes with adapter. Anyone have a source?

Kenm810
03-06-2008, 10:54 AM
This is a site that has come up a few times in the past

The problem I see is the price is the same but without the adapter

pkunk
03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
This is a site that has come up a few times in the past

The problem I see is the price is the same but without the adapter
However, their bits are 4 flute (not 3) and very high quality!

jwhllh55
03-07-2008, 02:06 AM
and tools to aid in the changing of the Quick Change Chucks used on the CW and CC Machines

Ken,
Have you used the 1/8" bit with the very small tip? I forget how small
he was selling, but I was very interested in it. However, I didn't want to spend that kind of money and have it brake the first time out. I am looking for someone that has use the smaller bits.
Have you tired them yet?
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

luckettg
03-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Is he selling these, or are they for sale somewhere else?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett

Kenm810
03-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey Guys,

Ron is selling them, --[rjustice@hughes.net]
and yes I have use the 1/8" bits for fine text and pattern carving, and nope I haven't broke one --- yet.
I limit the depth I carve with them to .630 or .125 I really don't want to push my luck.
I also have used a few Dremel 1/8" bits ( less cost and less quality)

jwhllh55
03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Ron is selling them, --[rjustice@hughes.net]
and yes I have use the 1/8" bits for fine text and pattern carving, and nope I haven't broke one --- yet.
I limit the depth I carve with them to .630 or .125 I really don't want to push my luck.
I also have used a few Dremel 1/8" bits ( less cost and less quality)

Thank you. I have been wondering how the smaller bits worked. I have email rjustice to find out how much and instructions on how to take the QC out for cleaning. (my bit holder stick sometimes). Hope he answers soon.
Thanks agian,
John Hammett
Baker City, OR

MikeMcCoy
03-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Ron will send a set of instructions along with your order. I recently got several items and was impressed with the quality of the bits and adapters.