PDA

View Full Version : Micarta or G10

SIlverSpike
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Has anyone tried to use the CarveWright to shape or cut G10 or Micarta. I searched but was unable to find any info on the subject. I understand that it would be more wear on the cutting bits but have no idea if the machine itself can handle this type of cutting. Thanks for any thoughts.

hotpop
03-03-2008, 08:06 AM
SilverSpike

I've machined Micarta on the past but I haven't tried it with the CW. I pretty sure it will work OK. As far as G10 goes it is very abrasive because is has a lot of glass in it. I would recommend staying away from it.

geek
07-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Anyone try this yet?

I am looking at making some custom knife grips and micarta and G10 are commonly used in the knife world.
How about in the CarveWright world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta
http://www.jjorly.com/g10_fr4_sheets_fabricator.htm

I am looking into if the CarveWright can machine these 2 materials.
Thanks in advance!

mtylerfl
07-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Anyone try this yet?

I am looking at making some custom knife grips and micarta and G10 are commonly used in the knife world.
How about in the CarveWright world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta
http://www.jjorly.com/g10_fr4_sheets_fabricator.htm

I am looking into if the CarveWright can machine these 2 materials.
Thanks in advance!

Hi geek,

Sorry you're not getting any response to this - I guess not many folks have used those materials. You may be the guy who "tests" it out! If you do, please let us know how it works for you!

atauer
07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I have two small pieces at my desk. Very tough, very smooth material.

mtylerfl
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I have two small pieces at my desk. Very tough, very smooth material.

Yes, Alex...but did you carve them yourself? <grin>

Hey, perhaps you could tap Chris L. on the shoulder and ask what his opinion/experience is regarding carving custom knife handles from the stuff.
(I believe you guys are going to sell a machine pretty quickly if the answer is a positive one!)

gregsolano
07-14-2011, 09:50 PM
I have carved some very nice grips out of corian for some knife kits from woodworkers.

atauer
07-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Nope. I haven't tried carving the pieces, as they are rather small. I believe that it was discussed in the past, but I'm not 100% sure. I will definitely find out about it though, as there is a fairly large market for customer knife handles, gun grips, and such.

atauer
07-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Okay. I have asked about the Micarta and G-10. As far as we know, it hasn't been tried. However, I do have the two small pieces that I am going to try carving at lunch. I'll post my findings this afternoon.

mtylerfl
07-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Okay. I have asked about the Micarta and G-10. As far as we know, it hasn't been tried. However, I do have the two small pieces that I am going to try carving at lunch. I'll post my findings this afternoon.

Thank you, Alex! Going the extra mile for us, as usual!! (we appreciate you)

atauer
07-15-2011, 10:33 AM
You have no idea Michael.

The back shop is extremely large, and lacks a good air conditioner. One wouldn't work well anyways, as there are a lot of gaps, holes, etc. in which the cool air would escape.

When I post this afternoon, I will be drenched in sweat. But, we will know for sure how the material works.

mtylerfl
07-15-2011, 10:40 AM
You have no idea Michael.

The back shop is extremely large, and lacks a good air conditioner. One wouldn't work well anyways, as there are a lot of gaps, holes, etc. in which the cool air would escape.

When I post this afternoon, I will be drenched in sweat. But, we will know for sure how the material works.

Thanks, Alex! Looking forward to hearing about your results.

geek
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Alex! Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Yes - THANK you VERY much - I appreciate your efforts.

atauer
07-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Okay guys. I didn't get my test done Friday, as there were a few things come up here at the office that had to be handled. I do have about an hour's worth of time set aside today though, for this test. Will post before and after photos as well, to show what I did.

atauer
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
So it was asked if the CarveWright machine would handle Micarta or G-10 Composite material. Well, short answer is yes!

I was passed two pieces of material a while back: a piece of black G-10 composite material, and a piece of canvas colored Micarta.

The theory was for me to test the pieces, but after reading about the hardness of the material and about the health hazards with the dust, I was a little reluctant to try. That, and we were still in the old QC chucks at the time. So the pieces went into the cabinet by my desk, and I forgot about them.

Well, after this thread started, I figured I would try carving the material to see what would happen. Nerves were getting the best of me, as I was completely unsure as to how the machine would handle it.

I created my jig, loaded the material, and set up a quick carve. My first carve was done on the black G-10 composite material. It carved extremely well. I thought that the machine would throw a fit, but it didn't. There wasn't much difference between carving this, and a piece of hardwood, like Oak. It cut smoothly. As far as the dust aspect, I used a dust collection system, so I am not sure as to exactly how much dust it created. The DC sucked it up before I could see it.

I have not yet cut the canvas material. I am going to set up a new pattern first, something a little more detailed, and then run it.

Pics to come later today.

mtylerfl
07-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Alex - thank you, so much!

atauer
07-18-2011, 03:09 PM
The Micarta carved quite well also. The piece I cut was O.D. Green colored canvas Micarta. The second test I did was about 40 minutes long, on the optimal setting. Machine did not bog down, and seemed to handle the material easily. There was a lot of dust, which from what I have read is potentially harmful, so a dust collection is definitely a must. I would also recommend maybe some type of mask or respirator also, but that is probably just me being overly cautious.

Pictures will be up shortly. Just need to find a camera.

atauer
07-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Okay. Here are the pics.

First is the pic of the G-10 composite material. Second is the canvas Micarta.

Both cut really well. My recommendations, if you are going to use this material, is to make sure that you are using sharp bits (a dull bit will burn the material), use a good dust collection system, possibly use a respirator (up to you; I would wear one), and keep the machine clean. Also, you will have to use a jig, as the material is extremely smooth, and the brass board tracking sensor wheel will more than likely slip on the material.

So, it is definitely possible to cut the material on the machine. I would definitely use the material again.

geek
07-19-2011, 09:54 PM
AWESOME!
Now to get a machine on it's way to my house!

Thanks so much for testing the materials I wanted to know about.
YOU ROCK

atauer
07-20-2011, 09:02 AM
AWESOME!
Now to get a machine on it's way to my house!

Thanks so much for testing the materials I wanted to know about.
YOU ROCK

No problem!!!

I am going to take a guess and say that you are looking into creating custom knife handles, or something to that effect???

My son saw the pieces that I had cut, and said that it looked a little like carbon fiber. I had thought the same thing. Now I am wondering if the machine can handle cutting carbon fiber...

I guess I need to find a sample.

2A Finishing
07-22-2015, 06:07 PM
No problem!!!

I am going to take a guess and say that you are looking into creating custom knife handles, or something to that effect???

My son saw the pieces that I had cut, and said that it looked a little like carbon fiber. I had thought the same thing. Now I am wondering if the machine can handle cutting carbon fiber...

I guess I need to find a sample.

I have a little bit of carbon fiber sheet - I'd be more than happy to share a piece, but you'd have to glue it down to a carrier board to cut it, and it wouldn't be suited for any kind of project but a cutout because it's so thin.