PDA

View Full Version : Ready To Buy?

jerrbitt
03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I own many woodworking machines but none that require the care of the Carewright/Compucarve. Nevertheless, in spite of all the complaints about the machine, the plusses seem to outweigh them and since I'm always looking for a challenge, think I'll go to Sears and buy one with the extended warranty.

Was going to wait until after the Woodworkers Show in Charlotte this coming weekend where I plan to see firsthand the operation of the machine. Does anyone know whether they sell the machines they use to demonstrate at the show?

Also, notice you can buy an extra 1/16 and 1/8 bit at the Sears Craftsman Club special. Is that something I should do -- do you run through bits and adapters that quickly?

And to show my total ignorance what is a QC?

And to all contributors to the forum, pro and con, keep them coming -- its only with all information that good decisions are made.

Kenm810
03-02-2008, 11:04 AM
In December at the Michigan, they sold out everything they had to sell with them.
Extra bits and bit adapters are a great idea, most bit are broken through operator error
or just plane dropping them, carbide is stronger then steel but quite brittle.
I've used mine for over a year and haven't dulled one yet.
The QC is the machines Quick Change Chuck that the bit and its adapter locks into.

SSB2121
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Was going to wait until after the Woodworkers Show in Charlotte this coming weekend where I plan to see firsthand the operation of the machine. Does anyone know whether they sell the machines they use to demonstrate at the show?
The demonstration units travel from show to show.

Also, notice you can buy an extra 1/16 and 1/8 bit at the Sears Craftsman Club special. Is that something I should do -- do you run through bits and adapters that quickly?
The bits generally tend to last a very long time. However, if you drop the bit or carve into a high glue material (i.e. MDF, plywood, etc.) you will dull the bits faster.

beachman
03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
i sent you a pm if your interested in seeing it work

Old Salt
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
they have a show price on the machines and you can take one home.
The guys will spend some time with you to answer questions. go to the show even if you buy from sears. take a look, may help to put a face to someone you may talk to later.