PDA

View Full Version : corian thickness

SandBuoy
03-02-2008, 02:35 AM
I all, been looking at all the really nice lithophanes your doing and want to know if 1/4 stock is the only way to go. I have a nice quanity of 1/2 stock in many colors available to me right now. Looking at most of the post listing size information, it seem that 1/4" is what everyone is using. Can 1/2" wrok just as well or am I going to have to plan it down?

Thanks for the help.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Sorry but I have tried to do 1/2 inch. Even tried to design it so the machine would plane it as it cut the pattern, never worked right.

So I actually built a sled and had the machine cut it down to 1/4 inch, but it takes over an hour to do a 9 x 11 inch peice.

The best route to go is to order some 1/4 pieces and run those.

Good luck to you

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 02:54 AM
with a sawmill (small bandsaw mill) and they can slice it in half for ya although you will loose about 1/8" due to the kerf of the blade. if you were closer i would do it for ya.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Tim, Just out of curiosity what type of bandmill are you using? I got a timberking 1200. Now its probably just my machine, but i can cut a quarter inch or thinner but it seems it would be a trick to cut something .50 to .25 . Just curious. Also yes you can always do a carving on .50 but i dont believe it would provide a lithopane effect as far as backlighting.

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
i have split 1/2" wood many times. the resultin two pieces were about 3/16" thick. what you do is lay a thick board on the bed that is the same width, lay down your piece to be split, then lay another heavy board on top, put a 2x vertically along the log dogs an saw away. the heavy board on top keeps everything some waht secure.

oh yea you clamp the bottom thick board.

pkunk
03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Planning it works too, if you have good dust collection,:)

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Tim, Okay I understand now what your saying on the saw mill. Thats alot of work for the setup to fet the sawmill ready. I think ill wait and try it in a couple days when im doing a log also.
Pkunk, I didnt know about the planing, it just never crossed my mind. I got fresh sharp blades on the planer and a 1200 cfm collector. Okay im on the way now.. Thanks all

SandBuoy
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
TwinPeaks, let me know about the planner, if it works or not. I have a Craftsman 18" thickness planner with good blades in it. I know that corian is a blast to turn in a lathe, very easy to mill and saw about like oak/ash. Just not sure if it would be the best to use on a surface planner. Might heat up or melt then jam inside the mahine. But if you take 1/32 cuts it just might do the job.

TIMCOSBY
03-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Tim, Okay I understand now what your saying on the saw mill. Thats alot of work for the setup to fet the sawmill ready. I think ill wait and try it in a couple days when im doing a log also.
Pkunk, I didnt know about the planing, it just never crossed my mind. I got fresh sharp blades on the planer and a 1200 cfm collector. Okay im on the way now.. Thanks all

once i get a good sized cant thats not moving from the stress release i put the 1/2" peices on and then put a bunch of the just cut 2x12's on top of it most people don't know how heavy fresh cut wood is but my back does. the only reason i have done it so far is when i find a nice figured wood at the big box stores i split in half to use as veneers.