PDA

View Full Version : 3D your image

J_Man
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Doing more looking around on the list, is this what people are doing to get their images:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5766&highlight=create+image&page=2

Do you pretty much just use the picture as a referance to draw by so you can get the "3D" image? I've imported several files to try various things. I used Photoshop and grayscaled a tiff image I had, but it pretty much didn't work out. I even smoothed out areas to build what I thought was a nice grayscale image that I figured would have looked decent but it didn't in the Carvewright program. I did get a logo I had designed in Illustrator to convert real nicely.

I just need something to point me in the right direction and I can probably figure out the rest. Today is my first real day of using the software and machine. Everything seems simple enough, I'm just over looking certain things that isn't well described in the instructions.

ChrisAlb
03-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Doing more looking around on the list, is this what people are doing to get their images:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5766&highlight=create+image&page=2

Do you pretty much just use the picture as a referance to draw by so you can get the "3D" image? I've imported several files to try various things. I used Photoshop and grayscaled a tiff image I had, but it pretty much didn't work out. I even smoothed out areas to build what I thought was a nice grayscale image that I figured would have looked decent but it didn't in the Carvewright program. I did get a logo I had designed in Illustrator to convert real nicely.

I just need something to point me in the right direction and I can probably figure out the rest. Today is my first real day of using the software and machine. Everything seems simple enough, I'm just over looking certain things that isn't well described in the instructions.

Hi Joe,

First off, PNG is the best and in my opinion, the ONLY format to work with for the CW. The compression routine in PNG won't add any noise (speckles) to the image when saved. Almost all other formats including TIFF will.

So if you have an image in ANY other format, covert it to PNG first before doing any work to it. You may have made a "perfect" carving image with all your work but saving it in other formats just ruined up to 50% of it.

I use Corel's Paint Shop Photo X2 for ALL my graphic work. It took a LOT of time (months) to understand the "correlation" between the image software and the Designer software but I've got a good handle on it now. Click my link below and take a look. All of my patterns were done in X2. I'm about to release another batch and they're even better now that I learned even more.

There IS a learning curve to creating or cleaning up images with "any" graphics application. Far more than could be explained in many posts. Take your time, try to be patient (I know it's hard) and EXPERIMENT a LOT. You'll get it!!

Chris

J_Man
03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the post. Yeah I know I have a little ways to go and there's work involved in doing the graphics. I don't mind that really. I can spend up to a week on an image when I'm designing t-shirts at work, so there's nothing new there for me. I just gotta figure out step 1 so I can work up from there.

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
has carrera 5 software on the cd for free. it is supposed to be able to do what we need. i got it but haven't had the time to learn it. if its off the bookstands you can get a back issue from the publisher.