PDA

View Full Version : questions be4 purchasing

optionman
03-01-2008, 06:11 PM
three quick questions before i buy:

1) i plan on carving approx 36x14in, .75in deep (at max), reliefs in only .5-.6in. wood. how do i attach wood to another piece while using the cw, then remove lower piece ? glue, clamps?

2) if i plan on routing edges using 1/2 in. classical down to depth of .75, do i need extra routing bits or can i do it with the set that comes with the basic machine?

3) if i carve into 1/4in. acrylic/corian, again, how/what do i attach my workpiece to in order to meet the machine's min thickness?

thanks

AskBud
03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
This is quick & dirty, as I'm on my way out the door.

1) Build a "Jig" to hold your project. In your case, you may need to plan on cutting into the jig in order to get the desired result. Ergo, use throw-away lumber. Be sure to place any "Hold-down method out of the cutting & measuring area's.

2) The machine only cames with 2 bits. Where ever you get your unit should have a comprehensive list of extra(s). The CW Store Page, also has a good selection. I got the "Bit Set @ 299.00 as a starting point. They suggest that you use their bits rather than just going anywhere. You can, also, get added "Quick-Fit's" so when you buy odd cutters you have the things you need, without taking another combo apart.

3) See #1.
AskBud

HighTechOkie
03-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I want to add and clarify terminology. I think its best to stick with the standard terms so everyone is on the same page.

1. The bottom board and filler pieces are commonly refered to as a "sled." I use double sided carpet tape to affix my project material to the sled. My sled is a melamine shelf (particle board core, just a closet shelf bought from Lowes and ripped to 14.5." If you are using 0.75" thick material, there would be no need for a sled.

2 You can desing a 1/2" classical ogee profile in Designer through the use of Surfaces and domes. These carve regions would be carved using the pattern bit set under Board Preferences (default is 1/16" ballnose carving). It of course would be faster (in machine time) to purchase a 1/2" claasic ogee router bit and draw paths in Designer, selecting the 1/2" classic ogee Bit. You also could choose to use the ogee bit in a handle held router or router table.

3. A sled is needed when project material is less than 1/2".

Rob