PDA

View Full Version : Check For Board Problems Press Any Key

oclatta
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I keep getting this message. I bought the boards from a millwork shop. They are maple, very light in color, straight, true, no cupping. I have put masking tape on the bottom of the board for the brass wheel of the board tracking encoder to roll on and a strip down the top in the center for the board senser to look at. A few other things I have checked: Brass roller spins freely. The rubber "O" ring is in place. Temperature of the garage and machine is 68 degrees. The head pressure measures 74 to 79 pounds with a bathroom scale. Board senser reads 157 when a mirror is places under it. Front and rear rollers read "compressed". Any thoughts?

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Could be a roller is always compressed, check that first.

Long Board? Sometimes I get a board error if the board gets to the end and due to weight lifts the end still in the machine and hits the roller too high to roll under it.

Board weight? A heavy board will give that error too.

AL

oclatta
03-01-2008, 03:45 PM
With no board in the machine the rollers read not compressed. The boards are 3/4" x 5 1/2" x 24". Weight shouldn't be a problem.

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
When does it happen, that might help? Any chance you have a broken gear in the sand paper drive? Infeed / Outfeed tables set to the proper heigth? What is the size of the board in designer you are using? Measure both ends of your board and check thickness?

AL

oclatta
03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
It happens most of the time. I managed to get one project carved this morning. Don't know how to check gears on sand paper drive without disassemblying machine. Infeed outfeed tables are adjusted to about 1/32" below board. Board in designer is 2 1/2" narrower and 7" shorter than actual board. Boards came from a millwork shop. I have checked them. They are square, same width and thickness along the length.

pkunk
03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Try moving your sliding plate 1/8" off the board. Then go to options on your keypad and have it measure board.

oclatta
03-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I'll try that tomorrow

Digitalwoodshop
03-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Forgot that... Yes the guide plate on the right should never touch the board. Tracking is via the left guide and sand paper belts.

Good one,

AL

oclatta
03-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a sample of Formica that I put beside the board, slide the plate up to it then remove the Formica. Maybe I'll finish the household chores that my Wife has me doing and get out to the CarveWright this afternoon. I'll try leaving about 1/8"

oclatta
03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Took your advice, left 1/8" between plate and board. I asked it to measure board from the keypad and it did. I then started it on a project. It's running as we speak. Thank for the advice. I'll let you know if it fouls up again.

Ken Massingale
03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Try moving your sliding plate 1/8" off the board. Then go to options on your keypad and have it measure board.
I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but if the sliding plate isn't slightly touching the work piece how can it guide and keep the stock against the squaring plate. I'm new and certainly not arguing with you, but if it's an eighth inch away from the stock it may as well be 4 inches away. What am I missing, please?
Thanks
ken

oclatta
03-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, the first project carved ok. Set up the second project just like the first one. Got "Check Board For Errors". Turned the other side down. Same thing. Flipped board end for end. Same thing. Quit for the day. Keep in mind these boards came from a millwork shop. They are light maple, consistant width and thickness. Still open for suggestions.

Ron Baird
03-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Check your board sensor for the low number, it needs to be 5 or lower when over the squaring plate. also check your roller compression before you remove the board the switches could be boarderline out of adjustment. It is usually a roller switch or brass wheel problem that gives you a check board.error.

benluz
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
also check to see if you still have the rubber o-ring on the brass wheel on the bottom left of the machine. Mine is usually due to a warped board when I get that message.
Ben

oclatta
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes, the "O" ring is there and the boards are flat. I'm going to try to tap on the rollers and blow some air around the sensor area when I get home tonight. I won't have time to set up the machine and check the sensor readings until the weekend. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

jwhllh55
03-07-2008, 02:47 AM
I'm having the same problem with one of my machines. However, I'm trying to crave a rough cut red cedar. It's the machine that will not stay in alinement. I'll take it apart tomorrow and realine the head. The pressure on the left hand roller is 40 to 45 and the right it about 50 to 55. I'll reajust the head and it will work for one or two projects then I will have to take the thing apart again.
I don't understand why the head pressure changes after I use it a few times.
Anyone out there have the same problem?