PDA

View Full Version : Practical depth of cut question

wynpotter
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
One of the reasons to get this machine is to create masters for ceramic tiles.
My goal is to carve into a 2" board of bass wood or other fine grain wood or material a relief 3d design that may well be 1/2 to 3/4" deep at the deepest and for the sake of discussion we'll take about a 3"x3"x3/4" sea shell that I photograph in gray scale. The tiles will be made from a mold cast from this master and glazed and fired so the CarveWright will only make the masters for my molds.
My question, based on part of the tutorial that seem to limit a good cut to 1/8", is how suitable is the CarveWright for this purpose. The ref was in the plastic tutorial but I'm concerned about the possible limitations for other materials.
Thanks for any help any might have. Wyndham

ChrisAlb
03-01-2008, 10:16 AM
One of the reasons to get this machine is to create masters for ceramic tiles.
My goal is to carve into a 2" board of bass wood or other fine grain wood or material a relief 3d design that may well be 1/2 to 3/4" deep at the deepest and for the sake of discussion we'll take about a 3"x3"x3/4" sea shell that I photograph in gray scale. The tiles will be made from a mold cast from this master and glazed and fired so the CarveWright will only make the masters for my molds.
My question, based on part of the tutorial that seem to limit a good cut to 1/8", is how suitable is the CarveWright for this purpose. The ref was in the plastic tutorial but I'm concerned about the possible limitations for other materials.
Thanks for any help any might have. Wyndham

I've cut clear through 1" Brazilian Cherry. No problems. That was with the 1/8 staright bit and using the "cut path" option which goes around the cut several times dropping a little each pass.

If your intent is to "carve a region" depending on how deep and how hard the material is, I might set it up to cut 1/4" deep the first time and then add depth on one or two more runs. I don't know if I'd attempt to go 3/4 deep all at once in hard material. But, Never tried it.

pkunk
03-01-2008, 10:17 AM
It'll do what you are needing. Download the trial version of the software from CW website and try your pattern.

wynpotter
03-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I have tried the trial software and have a comment on the file system. It needs a little work. When you save a file, you should have the option to choose where to save the file. My favorites and branch to favorites is fine but if I want to save to wynpotter pics, I should be able to, and by selecting a pic file that's saved, one should be able to get the windows properties to come up to help find the file location for ease of use.
I have saved several imported pics that have been put into a file that in using the search function in windows ,can not find the files I just saved.
If this trial version limits this then that's ok, if not then a little more code is needed.
I found that I can increase the depth at the import window as well as the main screen.
I'm not the neatest or most organized computer guy and lose files in folder that I forgot about.
Also what is the file extension to the saved imported photo files. I searched under the .mpc and only found the 3 samples included with the program.
I realize that being new to a program makes for easy mistakes but I thought I would post this as a possible either pilot error or program problem.
On to the original response, glad to hear that there are several ways to get to the depth I am looking for. I am not looking to do this all at once and several passes will make for a better finish as well.
Thanks again Wyndham

sweliver
03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
When you save a file, you should have the option to choose where to save the file.
With the full version I save my files to a thumb drive.

sw

www.go3d.us
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Wypotter: When you save a file, you should have the option to choose where to save the file.

There is option to save your CW file in a specific folder, just browse to the folder that you want to save it to or you can even create a new folder right in the save window.

Wypotter: I have saved several imported pics that have been put into a file that in using the search function in windows ,can not find the files I just saved.

By saying this did you mean that you imported pics into CW designer as a patterns? When you import pictures into designer, designer convert it to CW .ptn patterns...that pattern will only available inside the software until you export it out to a specific folder. Therefore the window search function can not find it.

Wypotter: Also what is the file extension to the saved imported photo files.

The imported photo will be converted to a CW pattern with .ptn extension.
.mpc is a project file that include whatever .ptn patterns you put in it.

The software out put 2 files type .ptn = pattern file, mpc = project file.
The software came with many pattern (.ptn) for you to try and make your own .mpc file.
When you start a new project in CW designer it will save as .mpc. When you import photo it convert to pattern .ptn .

The trial software has full feature but it last only 30days.

Hope this help.
HT

wynpotter
03-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the reply.
From the main file menu I open the import function, then in that sub window I chose open from file(jpg). After sizing and depth I chose save. The only folder available was My Favorites and a subfolder of favorites. in other programs one can go up the folder tree back to the root and choose another folder but in this save sum screen that was not available.
I could however when choosing the pattern tool from the main screen have the side menu of favorites and basic shape.
I may not have been clear on which save function I was having difficulty with. There again I was refering to the save function in the import section of the program. I was thinking it sould give as many options of places to save as other windows programs, even ones that have imports like PS or Corel. It might be that I need to get use to this style of file system.
Thanks for your time, Wyndham

Jeff_Birt
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
First thing to do is go to Help->Help Contents and read the software manual. This will save you a lot of time and frustration. When you import an image and make a pattern out of it it will be saved to a pattern database (favorites.mpn). You can create all the subcategories in your favorites that you want. Create a new project, click on the shell icon to bring up the pattern data base, right click on 'Favorites' and then select new.

Again, reading the software manual is a big help (although there are several parts that are out of date).

wynpotter
03-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks Jeff, I practice the age old method of charging forward without benefit of user manual. Once scored a touchdown before I found out which goal was ours ;) and I don't play basketball :???:
I'm gitten there, Wyndham

www.go3d.us
03-01-2008, 07:41 PM
wynpotter: From the main file menu I open the import function, then in that sub window I chose open from file(jpg). After sizing and depth I chose save. The only folder available was My Favorites and a subfolder of favorites.

When you import a photo and save as pattern, it does not save the pattern files directly on your PC hard drive. Because the folder and patterns you see are virtual files, they can only be read by Cw designer. However, when you save your pattern, you have an option to create a new category/folder if you wish to store your own pattern.
After that you can open the pattern library and export it to a select folder on your hard drive.

Hope this help!
HT

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
probably not going to get 3/4" from a photograph. best thing to do is get the scanning probe also and scan your shell or whatever. photographs take a lot of work to get even a modest result the probe scan is an exact match to the scanned object. you may be able to find all the scans you need in the free pattern sections also. put a photgraph onto the project board and then put one of the patterns that came with the cw software and you will see what i mean. rotate the board so that you can see all the jaggies in the photograph from the "noise". the carveing bit can carve to 3/4" and the cutting bit can cut 1" no problem. some have said it sounds a little different when using harder wood. what your going to do is another great idea for the carvewright!!!!!!

wynpotter
03-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Tim, I was thinking about that last night. I have used Photoshop and Corel for many years and realizes the problem that grayscale does not relate to depth, only to light fall off. I have worked 2D with these programs so long it took me a bit before I saw the error in visualization.
If I remember the CW tool is a tactile sensor as compared to an optical and that's fine but I was wondering if there might be optical that could interface to the CW. This is just a "What If" thing, not a practical reason behind the question.
There a trade show next week in Charlotte NC where the CW sales team will have a booth. I'm hoping to make it there as I'm only about an hr away. That should help answer some of the minor questions by seeing the CW in action.
Thanks for the help, Wyndham

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 07:46 PM
probably be more expensive and the probe does an outstanding job and is cheap fro what it can do.