PDA

View Full Version : Loading My Sled

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I have an 8 3/16 long x 7" width. My Sled is 14 1/2 by 24. I have centered my project board with carpet tape and started to fill the balance of the 24" length. Due I need to fill ALL of the 24" or just make sure I have the extra 7". And is it necessary to fill the top to bottom (14 1/2) or just make sure it doesn't move. I hope I get over the fer factor soon.

Thanks Bob

DocWheeler
03-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Bob,

When measuring the length of the Sled/Board, the machine starts looking for the end after it comes out from under the roller I believe. So, if you have the end fillers of 3.5", it will find the ends correctly.
When it measures the sled/board in the Y direction, it is just looking for a big "drop-off" so, where it measurers across the piece, you have to either fill that area, cover it with paper, or run a couple of strips of tape across it so the sensor has something to see.

I hope that this makes it less fearful.

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Ken
I ran the design and had a dister. The Y direction was good but the X bad. It cut stagerd from i cut to the next and then cut the depth so deep it started to burn. I stoped the machine.
Could you take a look at the design ?
Thanks BOB

DocWheeler
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Bob,

Nice project. I found that tape has its limits as to the forces it will withstand.
I usually force-fit blocking into the sled to keep it from moving.

Really only one thing wrong - forgot to mention that you can not use cut-out with a sled, the software is not that advanced yet, it will attempt to cut all the way through the thickness it measures - not the thickness you tell it.

We have all made "designer kindling" as we started.

Here is an mpc that should avoid the problem. If you are using tape, you can increase the route depth in the new line (2) to .75".

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 12:05 PM
What is that ADD to the Carve Group
I added a photo to my last post.

Bob

DocWheeler
03-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Bob,

If I follow you right, when you click on the object you want to see, it displays like that. You can also select an object from the "carving list" (open View and click on carving list if it is not visable), this is a very useful area.

Incidently, using your line, I removed the cut-out option, copied your line and pasted it into the carving area and then changed bits. I just noticed that I did not Attach it to the edges, if you use my mpc, you might want to make sure that the second line is in the right place.

Did the board move in your sled in the X direction? If not then the sensor must have slipped on the bottom of your board. Maybe check your pressure with some scales.

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Ken
In order for that cut to move the sled had to slip. The project board did not move. My sled is Formica covered. Maybe I should use MDF.

Bob

liquidguitars
03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
When it measures the sled/board in the Y direction, it is just looking for a big "drop-off" so, where it measurers across the piece, you have to either fill that area, cover it with paper, or run a couple of strips of tape across it so the sensor has something to see.

Big_Bob and Ken,
You can just load your sled's front "4" under the out feed roller first, and use "place on end 03" and no tape is needed!

Some info from my site:
http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LoadsledR006.jpg

LG

DocWheeler
03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks LG,

It has been awhile since I used tape on a sled other than the one that I posted that was simply rails with a board screwed in between them (no end pieces). I was just going from my declining memory.:(

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Ken
Your over my head. I see the connected line 2. How due I see what bit you changed. I copied line 1 on mine drawing but I don't know what you did after that and what we ar trying to due.
I will search the help to see what you did. I thought I was making progress but some times it comes slow. I WILL get it.

Bob

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=liquidguitars;45999]Big_Bob and Ken,
You can just load your sled's front "4" under the out feed roller first, and use "place on end 03" and no tape is needed!

LG
Load the sled 4" beyond the out feed roller with a filler board? or the project board. I don't understand no tape.

Is there more info on your web site.

DocWheeler
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Bob,

I pmed you with some details. What I did with the second line was to route almost through the 3/4" board on the sled. I offset the bit (-0.63) to cut on the outside of the line and set the depth of cut to 0.71" (use 0.75" if the cutout piece is secure).

Just saw your last question - What LG did was make sure that there was some material for the sensor to see by making the end piece of the sled 4" and positioning the sled so the sensor was over that area to start with. Is there any information anywhere? Mainly here on the forum, I was thinking about making something up but I know that I am limited in my understanding by what I have done and what I'm "use-to".
I would certainly be willing to colaberate with someone.

liquidguitars
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Load the sled 4" beyond the out feed roller with a filler board? or the project board. I don't understand no tape.

Just center the end of the sleds front 4" under the out feed roller so the trucks sensor to read without stopping short. :D

more info on sleds:
http://liquidguitars.com/html/tips_and_tricks.html

LG