PDA

View Full Version : Sleds

Big Bob
02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I have read gobs of threads on sleds. The problem is there all in pieces. Here are a few questions.
1) I have 2 sleds 1 with 3/4 rails and 1 with 2 1/4 rails per LHR. I don't understand how you use 2 1/4 rails on 3/4 board.
2) Does the entire sled (14.5 X 24 need to be covered with .75 boards the same as the project board. If you use tape to hold in place doesn't the board sensor get an error.
3) In Designers due inter the project size or the sled size ?

I hope this is all the questions I will have on sleds (I hope)

Other than that I have had my machine a week, ran 4 projects and they ran well except for my bad design but its getting better. With the forum I would have no hope. Thank to ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Bob

mtylerfl
02-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I have read gobs of threads on sleds. The problem is there all in pieces. Here are a few questions.
1) I have 2 sleds 1 with 3/4 rails and 1 with 2 1/4 rails per LHR. I don't understand how you use 2 1/4 rails on 3/4 board.
2) Does the entire sled (14.5 X 24 need to be covered with .75 boards the same as the project board. If you use tape to hold in place doesn't the board sensor get an error.
3) In Designers due inter the project size or the sled size ?

I hope this is all the questions I will have on sleds (I hope)

Other than that I have had my machine a week, ran 4 projects and they ran well except for my bad design but its getting better. With the forum I would have no hope. Thank to ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Bob

Hello Bob...here's answers to your questions:

1) The sled with the 2 1/4" rails is for scanning, not carving...the 3/4" rail sled is for carving 3/4" stock

2) You need to use 3/4" filler stock to fool the machine into thinking that your stock is at least 7" longer than the board size used when you laid out in the project in Designer. You may or may not need to use filler on the sides - that all depends upon the particular project you're running. Using tape to hold it together does not cause sensor errors - in fact, tape is often used on dark woods for that reason - to AVOID sensor errors

3) You make your layout board in Designer the size of the finished product. The sled (and filler) allows you to fool the machine into thinking the board is 7" inches longer than that and so it will stay under the rollers at all times

Hope that gives you the info you were after.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Okay so you just make different width filler pieces to fit into the sled to compensate for shorter pieces? correct? Also whats the ideal length to make a sled? Can someone post a pic of a 3/4 sled. I think i might be missing something, like a pdf or a tips and tricks about sleds? if so someone please direct me there and i can go from there... Thanks, good topic. I havnt really looked into sleds yet due to having an abundace of wood but after it while it just dont make sense..

AskBud
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
See if this help from CW works for you.
AskBud

Big Bob
03-01-2008, 06:40 AM
That clears it up. One of the sleds I made is from that PDF file that has 21/4 rails. Now I know when to use that one.
Now I can use up some of my scrap.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

liquidguitars
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LoadsledR004.jpg

3/4 thick base of Melamine and pine top runners works well.

I use this for my layout with a extra "4" on the ends so no tape is needed for the sensor..

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/SledZoneR004.jpg

LG

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Okay one more question and im on my way on this sled thing. Its rare i use edge route on the machine cause its better to do it on a shaper but it would be my thought an edge route wouldnt be a good idea with a sled right? Wouldnt that cut into the side rails or sacrificial boards. Thanks. Oh great pic there Liquid!

Router-Jim
03-02-2008, 08:40 AM
While you do need side rails on a scanning sled, you don't on a carrier sled.

pkunk
03-02-2008, 10:19 AM
While you do need side rails on a scanning sled, you don't on a carrier sled.
But you do, if the cut goes all the way to the edge of the project as in his illustration.

Router-Jim
03-02-2008, 01:47 PM
But you do, if the cut goes all the way to the edge of the project as in his illustration.

While you are right about the illustration, I want to point out that's a specific use sled designed to be reused for the same purpose. For single use he could have started with a board that's 1" wider and skipped the rails.

HighTechOkie
03-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Jim, you are making an assumption about the projects being carved. I've done several projects in which the entire surface is carved down, not leaving enough material for the compression rollers to ride on. If you are doing basic v-carved text etc, then rails are not needed.

Rob

optionman
03-02-2008, 05:24 PM
if i'm not using the scanning tool, when would i need a sled? in the few projects where i use less than a .5in (machine min?)board, why would i use a sled vs. attaching my work to another board with carpet tape? if i'm working with 1/4in corian, wouldn't i just attach 2 pieces of corian together and tell the cw that it's .5in material? thanks

mtylerfl
03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
if i'm not using the scanning tool, when would i need a sled? in the few projects where i use less than a .5in (machine min?)board, why would i use a sled vs. attaching my work to another board with carpet tape? if i'm working with 1/4in corian, wouldn't i just attach 2 pieces of corian together and tell the cw that it's .5in material? thanks

Hello optionman,

Whether you know it or not, what you described is indeed a sled. Some folks may call it a 'carrier board', but it's the same thing - the terms 'sled' and 'carrier board' are considered synonymous.

optionman
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
as a pre-purchase rookie i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something. i've been playing with the software for 2 weeks, very interesting

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
don't need the carpet tape the pressure rollers will keep the two boards together i do it all the time.

luckettg
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
This whole business of sleds is new ground for me. I realize the need but do not yet have a clear understanding of it all. This thread has shed some light on it for me, so thank you all.:smile:
Greg Luckett
Michigan