PDA

View Full Version : model sailboat keel fin

cjb300
02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi!
I am looking for a way to make a mold for a keel for a model sailboat. Would this machine be able to do this? The keel is about 18 inches long, and about 2 inches wide with a thickness of less than a quarter of an inch. The shape is a 6% NACA foil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ciao!
C.J.

hotpop
02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
cjb300

That's gonna be a big model.

If you can get a picture of the fin profile then bring it into a graphics program.

Once in the graphics program you you can streamline it by shading the picture and save it as a PNG file.

In Designer import your image. Once the pattern is in Designer you can apply the pattern to both sides of the board. You will need to mirror the image and copy the mirrored image to the back of the board.

cjb300
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
that is what i was thinking - making 2 halves of a mold, then we could lay glass and carbon and epoxy the 2 halves together. the boat hull is all ready made. i need to make a keel - which eventually i will attach a lead bulb to for stability.

Kenm810
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
cjb300,

Something like this

hotpop
02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Yea I see it. You will still need to have a pattern first. To make the mold drop the pattern on to the board. You may need to invert the pattern to create a cavity then mirror to create the opposite cavity, both on the one side of the board.

If you need help with the pattern drop me a PM.

Food for thought:

Why not just cast a lead keel? You can add a couple of extra holes outside the patterns. Bolt the 2 halves together and fill it with lead.

cjb300
02-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Ken, That is the idea - what type of boat is that plug for? I am very curious how this worked oout for you

cjb300
02-29-2008, 08:28 PM
mel,
the class model boat that i am building w are allowed to use a fin keel blade if a certain length and the bulb on the bottom has a minimum weight as well. i do have a bulb that someone poured for me - but at the moment i am curious about making a keel blade.
cheers!

castingman
02-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I'll cast something for ya, Brass- alum, PM me next week Got R. C . boats myself.

Michael

cjb300
02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
thanks for the offer, but presently i have a lead bulb, but heck, we are trying to build a fleet of boats here, may take you up on your offer in a few months after we get a few more hulls made. how cool! what type of boat do you have?

castingman
02-29-2008, 08:40 PM
cjb300

Air , hydro , deep V & flat. I like working with my hands !

Michael

cjb300
02-29-2008, 08:47 PM
OK, to give you guys an idea of what i am trying t make - here is a link to my blog:
http://iombuild.blogspot.com/

and here is a photo of one blade that was made out of thin plywood, sanded by hand, wrapped with carbon fiber and then epoxied with west system. i was just thinking there has got to be an easier way! (i hate sanding!)

cjb300
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Here is a keel blade similare to what i am looking for.

eromran
03-01-2008, 08:41 AM
OK, to give you guys an idea of what i am trying t make - here is a link to my blog:
http://iombuild.blogspot.com/

and here is a photo of one blade that was made out of thin plywood, sanded by hand, wrapped with carbon fiber and then epoxied with west system. i was just thinking there has got to be an easier way! (i hate sanding!)

Thats the same process as making a full size boat you just make a bigger backbone. If you have'nt already try it you will love it. Nice blog some interesting ideas

liquidguitars
03-01-2008, 01:09 PM
cjb300, I have been making some small props out of thin spruce and i works just fine..
you will need to build a sled and mill right and left parts with tabs..

LG