PDA

View Full Version : Q? about gray scale

wynpotter
02-29-2008, 05:19 PM
If my log on name looks funny, I missed typed my own name. :o
Well I just learned about this machine about an hr ago and like what I've seen so far.
I have a question on the depth of cut vs gray scale. Is this software limited to 256 gray levels? or can we go finer and also how is the depth of cut determined in the gray scale? Is one level = to .1 mm or do we divide the 1'" depth by 256 gray levels, if this is the manor of determining the levels. My concern is if I create a photo of say a street scene and carve this into a board how do I control the smoothness.
I have both photoshop cs and corel draw 12 so I have great control from that point but like a fellow posted about wanting to carve lithopanes which are only a couple of mil thick, is there a setting for the total depth each of us wants.
I am interested in the possibilities here. Thanks for the space to ask a very eager and maybe simple question. Wyndham Dennison (wynpotter)

ChrisAlb
02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
If my log on name looks funny, I missed typed my own name. :o
Well I just learned about this machine about an hr ago and like what I've seen so far.
I have a question on the depth of cut vs gray scale. Is this software limited to 256 gray levels? or can we go finer and also how is the depth of cut determined in the gray scale? (wynpotter)

No need to go finner.. on a 3/4" board, 20 shades = 1/16" depth change.

Board thickness / 255 = depth of change per shade.

And there's only 255 shades of gray. 0 = nothing, no background.

wynpotter
03-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the reply and to follow up a bit. How does the software determine the levels. Is it by my input or only the Designer software or both.
I have just downloaded the trial software so I will be learning some from that.
Thanks Wyndham

liquidguitars
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
With Designer I think it is better to use 24 or 32 bit PNG images of high quality.

Once loaded, Designer will smooth out the project board in steps of grayscale values so trash in trash out applies.

fool with a full gambit of images, colors and bit depths to see what you like.

LG