PDA

View Full Version : Started - now stopped

jimsorrow
02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I just got the Compucarve on Wednesday. Yesterday was quite cold and the unit wouldn't crank down. As it warmed up I was able to do some carving. Mostly I made sawdust and learned stuff.

Today I carved a South Carolina gamecock logo in oak that came out pretty well. Then I started the next project. Snapped the carving bit in when requested, the machine did it's measuring, checking, and so forth. Then the carving routine started - but I heard a strange clunk. I looked and the machine was going through the motion o carving but without the carving bit assembly. I stopped it and found the bit assembly laying on the truck rail. Unfortunately the carbide bit was broken, but fortunately nothing else seemed affected.

I ordered 2 bit assemblies from Sears (on sale till tomorrow for about $25 each for Club members), but they won't arrive til next Wednesday. So sad.:sad:

Ken Massingale
02-29-2008, 03:58 PM
That is sad, Jim. At least you got the Gamecock done! :-)

It's easy to think that the bit is locked in place when it isn't. After I had the same thing happen I spent time practicing installing the bit holder and tugging and twisting on it to make sure it was locked in. When mine did that it got the Quick Chuck too, so you came out better than I did.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
ken