PDA

View Full Version : One more question before I buy.

Ralf the Dog
02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
After doing a bit of research, I have found that many people complain about the noise level of the CompuCarve. How loud is it. I live in an unfortunately quiet neighborhood. Will this device earn me death by sander?

ChrisAlb
02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
After doing a bit of research, I have found that many people complain about the noise level of the CompuCarve. How loud is it. I live in an unfortunately quiet neighborhood. Will this device earn me death by sander?

This has been addressed many times in here. To me, it's about like a shop vac. I run mine in the basement and it's not disturbing upstairs.

Might want to "search" the forum for others opinions. Try, Noise, how loud, etc....

Cmdr.Rav
02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
If you run it without the exhaust bag it will be loud. With it it reduces the noise quite a bit. I have been able to hear it in the house from my shop and the shop is 30 ft from the house. As forth to a basement I never used the CC in one!

I would compare it to a lawn mover, or a little less then a weed wacker. But that is my opinion, I would run it with the garage door closed.

Rav

cnsranch
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Not at all unlike a router. Remember, though, that we typically use A router for 30 seconds, and the job is done. The CW will run for hours. I wear a pair of am fm headphones designed for noise suppression.

dominulus
02-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I live in a small row house on a quiet block. After a couple of months of my running the machine outside for an hour or three a day, a neighbor several houses away finally got up the nerve to tell me that the machine was annoying him and disturbing his peace. It wasn't like the occasional saw, he said, explaining that it was the relentlessness of the machine, running for hours at a time.

I sent the machine back, but recently decided to build a sound-proof shop in the basement -- and buy a new machine that I can run DAY and NIGHT!

deemon328
02-29-2008, 06:32 PM
It's the same as any mid-size router.

SandBuoy
03-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Comdr:Rav ....You mentioned an exhaust bag on the CW. I don't get mine till next Thursday but wanted to ask if a shopvac hose can be attached to the dust bag echaust rather then the dust bag. I attach a small shop vac hose to both my routers and sanders instead of using the supplied bag, that doesn't usualy work good anyway.

I have a 5x8 storeage shed built inside my workshop that the previous owner used to work on guns he repaired and modified for customers. I have already started to insulate and sound proof it for this machine. My garage/shop is attached to the house and I don't want to hear this machine running when I am not watching it, if thats posible. And I am sure the nirghbors and wife wouldn't be happy about it either, especially for all the hours I plan on running it.

TIMCOSBY
03-02-2008, 01:58 AM
that an exhaust bag/muffler it is not a dust collection port allthough it looks like it. hooking up anything to it is a waste of time and may rob some of the air that is redirected along a chaseway to the keyboard side to blow the chips across the board to the other side of the board. i read some where that someone was putting rags in the bag and it helped a little with the sound. you could leave the bag on it for five years and never have to empty it.

ChrisAlb
03-02-2008, 03:07 AM
That's precisesly what I do. Plug my vac hose right into the back. It keeps dust at bay and quiets the CW a LOT!

I don't turn the vac on while running the CW, I use it as a "better" muffler and to stop any dust coming out the exhaust from blowing around the basement. Between stopping the CW roughly 15 minutes and vacuuming it out (takes less than a minute) and that, I have no need for a dust collection system.

TRUST ME, my wife makes SURE...LOL

zman
03-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I agree with the rest that its sounds like a shop vac. I took my table and made a temp wall around it and top with 2" foam, leaving holes to breath. It helped cut down the noise alot. I found this web site I may buy these panels and try to do even more as to building walls around my table or build a small room then use these panels.

http://www.home-studio-recording.com/soundproofing-materials.html

http://www.foambymail.com/Pyramid.html

Zman