PDA

View Full Version : cutter life

edcole
02-29-2008, 07:24 AM
How long of a tool life are people getting when cutting hardwoods and MDF?

hotpop
02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
The router bit are made of carbide. Harder then steel. Used in wood or wood products or plastics they should last a life time. Well maybe a few years.

Avoid machining materials that contain sand, like teak or man made products that contain abrasive materials.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-29-2008, 08:12 AM
I got about 140 hours or more cut time on my 1/16 balnose in about 3 months and still cuts great. I cut everything from poplar, red oak, cherry, walnut, to just about eveything. I did a large project on hickory yesterday which is one of the if not the hardest wood. It came out great, so if after 140 plus hours if its getting dull i cant tell. Carbide is the only way to go. As far as bits go for the carvewright, i am very happy with that aspect.

Kenm810
02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
edcole,

One thing to remember carbide is very hard, but also brittle.
Most carbide bits have to be replaced long before they ware out or become dull do to being miss used,
operator error or just plain dropping them on any hard surface.
So it might be wise to keep a plactic tube or sleeve on them when their not in the machine.

Ps the sleeve will also save your fingers and thumbs
when loading or unloading the bits into your Machine.

ChrisAlb
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Ken, looks like that 60V could use a little pitch remover...:rolleyes:

Kenm810
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Chris,
Gottcya http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif, That's my backup 60V the amber protective cover film is still on it from LHR.

ChrisAlb
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
So it is...duh...didn't look closely enough.......LOL

I better go get another cup of coffee and clean my glasses!:cool:

Ken Massingale
02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I haven't had my CW long enough to judge on it's use, but based on other router bit usage, MDF will shorten the life more than hardwoods. MDF is basically wood dust and glue, mostly glue, IMO. It's the glue that dulls, more than the wood material.
ken

luckettg
02-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I bought one of each of the bits CW sells, which is a nice variety. A couple of questions come to mind.
1) I wonder if they are the only source of bits for this machine?

2) It would be nice to have a chart of bit life expectancies. This would help initially to decide what backup bits to purchase until experience teaches it.

Greg Luckett
Michigan

pkunk
02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I bought one of each of the bits CW sells, which is a nice variety. A couple of questions come to mind.
1) I wonder if they are the only source of bits for this machine?

2) It would be nice to have a chart of bit life expectancies. This would help initially to decide what backup bits to purchase until experience teaches it.

Greg Luckett
Michigan
Any plunge bit that fits the profile of the ones in Designer will work. After (I have no idea how many hrs)over $1000 worth of signs, my 60° bit got dull enough to burn maple. Replaced from Grizzly for $6. Don't worry!:p