PDA

View Full Version : 3D with GIFs

hardly
02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Since there seems to be a lack of any 3D software for the machine I am trying to use coreldraw to create the 3D images I want and import them through a GIF file. I know the shade of gray determines the cut depth but I am at a loss as to how to manage the X/Y scale using pixels.

1. Does it matter what scale or DPI I use in coreldraw?

2. With 256 gray levels does this mean a level is .004 inch deep?

3. In the X or Y direction one pixel translates to how far?

4. How are the patterns designed that are being sold? There would seem to be some sort of software but it seems to be kept a secret.

Regards
Terry

auriclux
02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Since there seems to be a lack of any 3D software for the machine I am trying to use coreldraw to create the 3D images I want and import them through a GIF file. I know the shade of gray determines the cut depth but I am at a loss as to how to manage the X/Y scale using pixels.

1. Does it matter what scale or DPI I use in coreldraw?

2. With 256 gray levels does this mean a level is .004 inch deep?

3. In the X or Y direction one pixel translates to how far?

4. How are the patterns designed that are being sold? There would seem to be some sort of software but it seems to be kept a secret.

Regards
Terry

I just asked this question [#2] in another thread "Image Size", and apparently the answer is not obvious, however (was it ChrisAlb?) determined empirically that 20 shades corresponds to 1/16" in practice - whatever the true algorithm may be.

Scot

Jeff_Birt
02-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Do a bit of searching of past forum posts. Several times I have posted the algorithm that I worked out for the depth/height relationship. Both jlitz and I have also mentioned several times the the machine imports patterns at 128 DPI.

Search is your friend...