PDA

View Full Version : Wrong size cut

hardly
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I must need help as I can't get the machine to carve a small sign to the correct size. I created a street sign in coreldraw and colored the sign surface with RGB 245,245,245 (a very light gray). I then put four letters in the middle of the sign and colored them RGB 240,240,240 (an even lighter gray). I've made the assumption that each step in the gray scale is .004 inch so the letters should be carved .02 inch deep. The sign drawing was 1.385 inches square and then I exported it as a gif. Importing into the designer software went OK and I was able to place it on a board at the same 1.385 inch size, centered in X and Y. I uploaded it to the card and went to the machine. I ran it but was asked to "scale it to length 3.293/10.25". This confused me as I had set the board to 10.25 by 2.523 in designer and the board was 10.29 by 2.53 as measured by the machine. I had no other option so I hit enter. The sign was cut but way too small. It was about 1/2 inch square.

Why is it telling me to scale to length?
Am I missing something? Is there a scaling problem when importing GIFs?

Thanks
Terry

Jeff_Birt
02-28-2008, 02:34 PM
You have stumbled on the #1 source of newbie confusion. Have a read through the Tips &Tricks: http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks. Michael does a good job of explaining the difference between board size in Designer vs. the real board size. Also take a look at: http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tutorials.

Then I think everything will become clearer.

mtylerfl
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Jeff and hardly,

Funny, I have had a rash of folks with hardly's problem and other "improper board length" related issues yesterday and today. I believe I have talked to and emailed about 5 or 6 folks (maybe more) just these last couple days.

Oh, if only everyone would sign-up for and read the CarveWright Tips & Tricks newsletters! Would certainly save a lot of grief and spoiled projects. Well, we're tryin' to get the info out.

;) This is the mantra to avoid problems...
"I must make my carving board 7" longer than the "fake" layout board in Designer and keep the project under both rollers at all times"..."I must make my carving board 7" longer than the "fake" layout board in Designer and keep the project under both rollers at all times"...etc....etc...

(just in case...yes, we know about sleds, but most new folks have their hands full just setting up and running normal projects - let 'em get used to how the machine works and have a few successful projects first - then worry about sleds)

hotpop
02-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Michael T

It looks like there are more machines being sold then you can keep up with.:p

mtylerfl
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Michael T

It looks like there are more machines being sold then you can keep up with.:p

Man, you got that right! I told Chris the other day that I think we're getting almost as many Tech calls as they are!

TIMCOSBY
02-28-2008, 09:31 PM
it measured his length at 3.293 instead of 10.25?????? and it wants to scale everything down to really small like 1/4"x1/4"??? if thats the case the board sensor may have hit a dark spot and stopped???

mtylerfl
02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
it measured his length at 3.293 instead of 10.25?????? and it wants to scale everything down to really small like 1/4"x1/4"??? if thats the case the board sensor may have hit a dark spot and stopped???

I believe the problem is that he did not make the board long enough, and he chose the scale to length option.

His problems will very likely "go away" if he makes his board 7" longer than his project layout in the software, selects "stay under rollers", says "no" to cut to size, says "yes" to 'center on length', says, "Ignore" to 'Auto Jig' or 'Manual Jig' when he uploads his project to his memory card, says "no" to any scaling options, etc., etc. (read all about how to setup your projects properly in the Dec. ' 07 Tips & Tricks)

hardly
03-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I finally got the darn project carved.

I had previously read the hints and I already knew about allowing 7 inches extra board so the rollers would have something to hold on to. The problem was that it was not clear that it is an extra 7 inches not to be shown by the software. I added the 7 inches to the project as drawn on the screen but, should not have. While it is obvious to old timers to add the "invisible" 7 inches it is not to a newbie and since there is wide spread confusion to newbies I would suggest that the hints and instructions are failing to properly point this out. Perhaps a rewriting with illustrations may be in order.

Now about this sled that was mentioned. I am interested. There is a lot of waste, well, at least 7 inches and it would be great to eliminate that problem. Well actually in my case there was more than 7 inches lost. My project was less than 2 inches square. The machine demanded at least 6 inches for the 2 inch project plus the 7 so I lost 11 inches. I know about the plans for a sled for the scanning probe but it does not provide for holding a small piece of wood. Are there plans for a different sled? One that clamps in the wood?

Again, Thanks

mtylerfl
03-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Hello hardly,

Glad you got the project done.

As far as making the instructions clearer, I don't see how that's possible. In the Dec. Tips & Tricks, the very first paragraph in the setup instructions states "Make absolutely sure that your real board size is AT LEAST 7" longer than the "virtual" or “fake” board in Designer."

I don't know how we can make it clearer than that. (plus, depending upon which Owner's Manual you have, an illustration appears on either page 23 or page 25 showing a board as it appears in Designer vs the actual carving board with the extra 7" added)

Ken Massingale
03-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Hardly,
Look in the Techniques section of the forum for a thread by Router-Jim, where he posted plans for an adjustable sled. About 2 weeks ago, I believe.