PDA

View Full Version : Vacume hose on truck

AskBud
02-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Has anyone played with mounting a small vacuum hose on the cutter truck? I'm thinking of getting some small tubing and testing the theory so I can remove some of the saw dust as it cuts. I'll make sure that it is free to move the entire path by possibly using the drive shaft as a tether point.
AskBud

Kenm810
02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Bud,

I’ve played the idea in the past, but any metal, plastic, or rubber tubing near the “Z or Y” trucks may cause a static electric charge to build up as the dust or chips are vacuumed through the tubing. With the circuit boards and wire connection in that area any static may kill or damage the circuitry. I use a low pressure air jet to sweep across the project being carved to move the carved material to the edge of the project and out through my down draft cabinet.

If you do find a way to use a vacuum tube there safely, Please let us know

DocWheeler
02-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Bud,

I wanted to do smething similar but am afraid of the added wear on several components from the added weight.

David Myers
02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Ken,

Is that a low voltage light that you have mounted inside you machine?

Also, did you use an fish tank air pump for the air line?

If it is what type or where did you get them if you don't mind sharing?

David

Kenm810
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi David,

It is a 3 volt high intensity Mag light in a kit box that holds 2 rechargeable batteries, but most of the time I just leave plugged in to a 3 volt dc-110 volt ac converter. It's mounted on Valcro so it can be easily removed when I clean or service my Machine.

The air jet is attached to a regulated air line from my shops 70 gal. compressor,
it normally operates on 5 to 10 lbs of dry oil free air

I believe Jeff also uses a version he calls an air blast system, they both do a very good job of sweeping the dust and chips out of the carved area and of the project board, a side benefit is a little cooling action for the Quick chuck and Carving bits. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Dave-Carve
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I Thought that RED button was a PANIC button glad You Cleared that up !!!:rolleyes:

David Myers
02-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Ken,

Everyone has given me so many great Ideas. I keep adding them to my list.
I also have a 70 gal. compressor that is plumbed thru out my shop I'll work on a small quick connect thru a regulator to reduce the pressure. I'm always blowing air thru the slot in the top and using a flash light to view the carving progress.

Thanks again for all of your inputs to the forum they make it easier for those of us just getting started.

David

Kenm810
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Dave-Carve,
That little thing -- Naw my Panic Button is the Big Red One on my desk with the flashing lights on it.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

David,
I started with a single valve, But plan to add more air jets for the rollers

HighTechOkie
02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Here is my front mounted dust collector. It aint pretty, but it works. Definitely need to redo it and make some changes, but it keeps the inside of the machine clean even when carving corian.

Rob

Kenm810
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Rob,

It looks pretty to me, plus if it can control that blasted Corian dust it's even PRETTIER! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

David Myers
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Rob,

Do you have your cover switches disabled?
I built a down draft table but it looses it efficiency the wider the board I carve.

David

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes sir i think i seen it on here a while back someone had rigged somehing up to that effect. It was either a blower or a vaccum i cant remember. I use a downdraft system with a 1200 cfm dust collector. It works well except for doing wide boards is a slight downfall. How are you going to run the hose as far as the power source? Also wouldnt if the tube was too small clog up. I dont know but would be interesting to see what you come up with. If ya get something going please let me know i would like to see it.

HighTechOkie
02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes, I do have the cover switches taped closed while testing the idea, aside from the fact I'm smart enough to not stick anything in a moving machine :). I'm currently looking at redesigning it similar to Al's (DigitalWoodshop) front mounted system. Currently I have to move the hood out of the way to load/change bits.

Rob

Kenm810
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Quote -- I built a down draft table but it looses it efficiency the wider the board I carve.
Quote -- It works well except for doing wide a board is a slight downfall.

Lately quite a few of my carving projects have been 10” or 12” wide, and many of the rest are carved on a Sled up to 14” wide.
All of these limit the effectiveness of my Down Draft Cabinet, to remedy this I’ve been playing with a modification
that I’ve seen posted on the forum before by fellow members like Pkunk, I plan to keep his ideas in mind
as I combine his side draft, plus the machines rear muffler vent and my down draft for negative pressure in three directions
all leading to the filtered blower in my cabinet with the aid of the air jet sweeping the dust and chips towards
far side of the machine where the down and side draft would be most effective.
I’ll just have to see what happens; it couldn’t hurt to try, --- Besides most of you know I love to tinker. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Gunner
02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Kenm,
Now that looks like something that will work. I like it !

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Ya your on to something there Ken . That solves the wide board problem and actually probably does a better job in general. How about a before carve and after carve pic when you get it up and running. Dont think there would be much dust at all.

Digitalwoodshop
02-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Rob,

Nice Collector. I used part of the machine's curve as the bottom part of the collector.

Looks Good,

AL

Kenm810
02-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Just a thought,

Like a few folks out there, as I mentioned I do like to ticker or modify some of the tools and machines I own.
But, as in the case of my carver, I purchased extra parts for my machine and change or modify them not the machine its self.
So please don't start cutting up your machines just to see what happens. (aside of voiding any warranty you may have on it)
My machine is out of warranty, I have to pay for the shipping and parts when I send it to LHR for repairs,
Plus I have all the original parts to reassemble the machine to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.
So again please leave the tinkering and modifying to us few Nuts, if it works -- or not -- we'll be happy to let you know.

castingman
02-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Ken,

Doe's it wook good enough to buy another side cover for the machine and cut the old one ?

Michael

Kenm810
02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey, Michael

I,m waiting for my machine to get back from Texas.
As soon as it's back and I attach the additional air jets I'll do some test runs and post the results. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_surprised.gif

Ps The backside panel was only $18.00, I added it to an order for new Traction Belts,
a extra Board Sensor and QC Chuck to save a buck ot two on the shipping charge

castingman
02-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Ken,

Thanks , I haven't done much yet with the DC, I have been watching the posts and this to me is the best idea yet.

Michael