PDA

View Full Version : Edge Routing Thru the Software

zman
02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I just finished a 18" X 8" carve in which I set the software to do the edge rout using the 1/4" ballnose. As the project came out really nice and to the perfect position on the board. The routing did not. The 2 long sides came out like they should but the 2 short end did not. Its like one end only routed 1/2 of what it should have and the other end did 1 1/2 times what it should. I checked the size of the board in the software and it is the measurement of the board. Should I do the edge routing thru the key pad and not the software? Any Ideas out there

Thanks
Zman

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I just finished a 18" X 8" carve in which I set the software to do the edge rout using the 1/4" ballnose. As the project came out really nice and to the perfect position on the board. The routing did not. The 2 long sides came out like they should but the 2 short end did not. Its like one end only routed 1/2 of what it should have and the other end did 1 1/2 times what it should. I checked the size of the board in the software and it is the measurement of the board. Should I do the edge routing thru the key pad and not the software? Any Ideas out there

Thanks
Zman

Zman,

post the mpc file...let's have a look.

zman
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Look at the left vs the right

Thanks
Zman

zman
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Here is the mpc file and I tried to attach pics but did not happen will try that again

Zman

zman
02-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Now hopefully the pics will go thru. The size was too big on the pictures

Zman

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Zman

Well your file looks fine. By the pictures it looks like the board may have slipped a bit.

Possible causes would be,

Not enough head pressure (push down lightly while cranking to at least 3 to 5 clicks)

Sliding guide too tight (use a piece of paper folded in half between the board and sliding guide and just make light contact)

Board not parallel. (make sure it is, also a little looser on the guide can help this)

Chris

zman
02-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Chris for taking a look. Its just heart breaking getting it all done to see the mess up. Could I rout the one end again thru the control panel of the cc. And maybe use a saw to cut a sliver off the other.

Thanks Again for the feed back
Zman

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Chris for taking a look. Its just heart breaking getting it all done to see the mess up. Could I rout the one end again thru the control panel of the cc. And maybe use a saw to cut a sliver off the other.

Thanks Again for the feed back
Zman

I certainly understand Zman. I've made quite a bit of designer firewood myself. But you could cut the ends off and route it again. You might be able to save it.

Cut the board just enough to remove the end routes. If you can, to an even dimension. Then resize another board file and just put the edge route on it. No carvings. Run the board through again taking my suggestions into account. I've saved a few projects this way myself.

mtylerfl
02-27-2008, 10:02 PM

Zman

Zman,

Was the actual board you put into the machine 7" longer than your "fake" layout board in Designer? (If not, then that may be a possible cause of the problem, since the board was too short to stay under both rollers at all times.)

Please let us know, as we are very interested in identifying the source of the problem to help others avoid it in the future.

bjbethke
02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I would not use the cc machine to correct this. Use a router table.

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I would not use the cc machine to correct this. Use a router table.

Well, some are comfortable with it and some aren't I guess. Have done so many times myself.

Dan-Woodman
02-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm with BJB on this one . The few times I did this 2 years ago , it just wasn't that accurate . The router table or hand held also is so much faster and doesn't put time on the machine.
later Daniel

bjbethke
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
I finished my 22 cabinet doors and found it was less trouble to do the edge routing on a router table then with the CW machine. I sized the doors – carved the MPC, then edged the doors on a router table. A lot less time and trouble.