PDA

View Full Version : Celtic knot heart spoon first attempt at carving 2 side

www.go3d.us
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
First attempt (second try btw) at carving 2 side object. Will work on it some more and give it a third try. My own design btw. :) Carved on .75" x 2" x 9" piece of wood.
Thanks for viewing.
HT

--edit--
Forgot to add picture.

badger
02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Just curious as to the carve time total for front and back. btw Nice job on having it come out nice.

If Jman sees this might answer his question in another post about the front and back side carve for an item he was thinking about.

www.go3d.us
02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I set quality to normal and it took about 25 mins for each side. Very accurate, only a few millimeter off but you can sand it away.

Thanks
HT

castingman
02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Those are realy great !! Will that be a pattern for sale ?

Michael

badger
02-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Food for thought, "Normal" setting? um, That came out quit nice for normal setting. I might have to try a few out at normal and cut down on cutting time set at best. A little sanding over putting hours on your machine is time well spent.

www.go3d.us
02-28-2008, 12:23 AM
The pattern will be available on my website soon. Sorry can't give away, you know, I'm a starving artist... :)

HT

Ken Massingale
02-28-2008, 05:50 AM
The pattern will be available on my website soon. Sorry can't give away, you know, I'm a starving artist... :)

HT
HT,
Please holler when it's ready for sale, I want that one bad.
Thanks
ken

The "DH"
02-28-2008, 06:06 AM
go3d,
Well done!!! I've done several double sided carvings but nothing like that... Thanks for sharing!!! I understand the starving artist, I just graduated from ramon noodles LOL!!!!

dcurrysr
02-28-2008, 09:47 PM
go3d;
Those are super cool spoons, I really like them, let us know when you have the pattern ready to sell.
Dave

Durtdawber
02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I've been playing around with Celtic Love Spoon patterns for some time now. Just have not got one that I like. Really nice job.

castingman
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
HT,
Take one of them an cut two slots and you have a fork & spoon like a salad fork & spoon.

Michael

www.go3d.us
02-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Good idea. Thanks!
Here is another one. There is one more to come. Will post that one tomorrow.
HT

fyrpuppy
02-29-2008, 09:12 PM
The spoons are very cool and what a great idea.

Dan-Woodman
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Michael
If you cut slots in it you will have a spork, you know spoon-fork.
later Daniel

www.go3d.us
03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Celtic Heart Spoons are here. For those who is requested and express your interest in the patterns please check it out at http://www.go3d.us

Thank you so much for your support in the past and the future.
HT

TerryT
03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Very, very nice! They look like excellent patterns. I know I will purchase them after the wife see's them.

liquidguitars
03-14-2008, 10:19 AM
cool idea!

LG

forqnc
03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Wow, and Thank you www.go3d.us (http://www.go3d.us). Not only for allow us to buy the patterns, but I think your pricing is great too.
I think this may be the first pattern I buy once the wife see's them.

Digitalwoodshop
03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
HT,

Nice job !!!! The spoons are on my shopping list.... Would make a great addition to my products.

AL

Ken Massingale
03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
HT, please check your PM's.
Thanks
ken

www.go3d.us
03-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks Ken.

Thank you all.

HT

Ken Massingale
03-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Still needs some sanding and a pretty finish. This is a piece of Hackberry scrap with a quick splash of Light Walnut Danish Oil.
These things are amazing to watch being carved. I admit I was getting an elevated pucker factor toward the end waiting for some wood to be left to hold the carve in place, but HT came through.
The files as supplied by HT are excellent, I just used the MPC file included.
I need to do a couple more practice ones then do some in Walnut, Padauk and Purpleheart.
Thanks HT, I'm sure designing these was a lot of work.
ken

RayTrek
03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Hello HT
I purchased the Celtic knot heart spoon and the Cross-, A most have for the collection of patterns.
Outstanding Art form, I think if you are not already there, you are on your way to becoming a renowned Artist in your lifetime.
It’s snowing here today and I may get to carve the spoon today.
Keep them coming and thanks for the feedback yesterday.

Cheers
Thank you for the learning Carve. Ver. 1.126

dongear@earthlink.net
03-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I also thought the spoons all look great, and will probably get each one. So far, I have purchased the Celtic Knot. I am a little confused about how to carve it. The instruction indicate to invert the pattern. Is this correct? Also, I was going to use a half inch thick sled. What do I want to tell the program when it comes to jogging? It gives some warnings.

Thanks,

Don

www.go3d.us
03-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Ken, That's look nice. Better than what I had.

Ray, Thank you for your kind words.

Don, invert the patterns is required only if you do your own set up.
The .mpc file come with the pattern can be used to carve without doing any setting to it. All you need is a piece of wood that has the exact measurement.
If your wood piece is slightly larger than the work piece inside the CW designer then "Center to wide" is the best option. Sled not required to carve this pattern.

Hope this help.
Thanks.
HT

Ken Massingale
03-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Ken, That's look nice. Better than what I had.

Ray, Thank you for your kind words.

Don, invert the patterns is required only if you do your own set up.
The .mpc file come with the pattern can be used to carve without doing any setting to it. All you need is a piece of wood that has the exact measurement.
If your wood piece is slightly larger than the work piece inside the CW designer then "Center to wide" is the best option. Sled not required to carve this pattern.

Hope this help.
Thanks.
HT
HT,
I have a gob of 5/8" thick wood. What, if any. changes do I need to make to the depth and/or height settings from the MPC file you included for 3/4" stock?
Thanks, the missus loves these spoons!

www.go3d.us
03-16-2008, 11:23 PM
HT,
I have a gob of 5/8" thick wood. What, if any. changes do I need to make to the depth and/or height settings from the MPC file you included for 3/4" stock?
Thanks, the missus loves these spoons!

Ken, for 5/8" thick stock I would suggest divide it by 2 and set half for the front and half for the rear. 5/8" = .625 divide by 2 = .313".

Thanks.
HT

dongear@earthlink.net
03-17-2008, 06:01 AM
HT,

Thanks for the help. Now I got it. I will be getting me some of the other spoon patterns, too.

Don

www.go3d.us
03-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Don,
Hope you like my spoon patterns.
I have the fork coming soon.
HT

Foggycarver
01-21-2015, 08:45 PM
This year for valentines day I thought i would carve my wife a celtic love spoon. I searched around and couldn't find any. I married a sassy scotts/irish gal who i am sure she will appreciate it. I saw where a site go3d.us may have had some patterns but the link is broken or the site is no longer there. Anyone know of any place to get a pattern?

Rocketman
10-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I too am looking for his celtic knot spoon ptn or an stl file of it. I've had no luck tracking down a current website that has his files for download.

fwharris
10-10-2016, 01:33 PM
I too am looking for his celtic knot spoon ptn or an stl file of it. I've had no luck tracking down a current website that has his files for download.

The Go3D.us site is not longer active but you might try sending them a private message from the forum to see if they have the pattern available to send you.

oscarl48
10-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys. lol. I was reading the thread and decided to see what these Celtic spoons looked like beyond these designs.

I just made the mistake of showing these types of spoons to my wife. Her comment was "why don't I have one these? Don't you love me!?"

Off to the drafting table. >:(

Rocketman
10-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys. lol. I was reading the thread and decided to see what these Celtic spoons looked like beyond these designs.

I just made the mistake of showing these types of spoons to my wife. Her comment was "why don't I have one these? Don't you love me!?"

Oscar, your getting off easy. I made the mistake of carving a more simple spoon design in the meantime and showed it to a group of women at work today. I had not even had the time to sand it down and finish it yet but the responses were great! Every one of them wanted one. One wanted me to make the large wall hanging size for her. Another thought to put a clock in the end of a big spoon for her kitchen.

An internet image search for Celtic knot spoons or Welsh spoons will pull up many delightful styles. I see some of the websites are charging $50.00 bucks a spoon! They are almost as bad as shoes for women; if it's a style they like they will pay what ever it takes to own them.

henry1
10-12-2016, 08:20 AM

oscar148 is this what your looking for from way back I had to pay to get done they are a great set for highland game we have here show these to your wife lol she might like them

dltccf
10-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Hmm, been wanting to do one of these for a long time, looking at these pictures I just realized I could use the extrude tool and whip one up pretty quickly. I have been playing around for about 15 minutes and already have a cool design starting to come together. Thanks for sharing.

dave

oscarl48
10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Rocketman, too funny. Good luck with that. ;D

Henry, those are beautiful. I've actually started designing one for the wife with her input. I am probably at an 80% final design. I still have to build the Celtic knot for the middle and I am thinking of adding vines to the overall spoon. Not sure yet what I want to do with the ropes. They will not remain straight like I have them now. Maybe a noose. lol...don't tell the wife.

Dave, I was amazed at what people have carved.

cestout
10-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Is anyone willing to tell me how you get the over and under in the pattern?
Clint

oscarl48
10-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Finished the design. Heart shaped locket with heart shaped key interwoven with vines around a Celtic knot and finally two stars representing two Texans. My wife is from Houston and I'm from El Paso.

I don't know why but she nixed the hang noose and ball and chains patterns I was ready to throw in there.

Clint, sorry can't help unless its with blender.

The key and pear leaf have been previously shared and for the blender users I have shared the technique in making spoons under 3rd party software thread.

I'll try to carve it this weekend.

henry1
10-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Finished the design. Heart shaped locket with heart shaped key interwoven with vines around a Celtic knot and finally two stars representing two Texans. My wife is from Houston and I'm from El Paso.

I don't know why but she nixed the hang noose and ball and chains patterns I was ready to throw in there.

Clint, sorry can't help unless its with blender.

The key and pear leaf have been previously shared and for the blender users I have shared the technique in making spoons under 3rd party software thread.

I'll try to carve it this weekend.
Oscar you have a private message

Rocketman
10-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Henry1 has the design I'd like to start with. Those would size up and work well for salad mixing and serving. Someone mentioned trying to contact the original poster directly. I didn't mention it in my original post but I had tried that before I even posted. He may have moved on to other ventures who knows? I didn't get a response.

Oscar, while your wife may be happy with your design, I kind of like your first design better even though it would be a bear to clean up all the detail with sandpaper.

cestout
10-14-2016, 01:56 PM
I just need to get some time to learn Blender. Maybe next year.
Clint

oscarl48
10-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Super happy with the final result. Still don't have the double sided mechanics down. Carved it at .38 on both sides on a .75 board but still left a little bit of material in-between. I'm thinking the board may have been slightly thicker than the advertised .75 inches and I didn't check before carving. Just took a little bit of sanding at my sanding station to clean it up though.

The lumber is black walnut with a shellac finish. I am waiting for it to dry for a steel wool rubdown with some finishing wax.

The wife loved it so scored some much needed brownie points.

P.S. Added final carving with one coat of wax hand buffed.

henry1
10-15-2016, 01:14 PM
that is nice

dltccf
10-21-2016, 09:33 PM
Is anyone willing to tell me how you get the over and under in the pattern?
Clint
Here is a pattern I was using as practice, I was able to get the over and under using the tilt feature.

dave

Rocketman
10-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Those of us without tilt (original version of software) are unable to open your file and view it because yours was created with a newer version of the software.

Thanks anyway,
Brad