PDA

View Full Version : Shop temp for Carvewright

wes_
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Hello all, after reading the numerous threads on here, i decided to bite the bullet and get a compucarve. Should be here in a week(Looong week).

Anyway I have a question about the temp of the shop where the machine is located. I read a few about temp, but was unclear.

I have a shop in my garage, that stays about 40 degrees when not in use.
When I am working the temp is raised to 50+. Will this cause any problems?
The shop never get to freezing. Of course in summer the shop can get to 80-90. Likewise is this a problem.

I am not sure if the manual says anything about this, have not gotten my machine yet....Just trying to get prepared for the new additon to my shop....

I have seen so many nice things on here, i might as well start learning the software...

Thanks,

Wes

hotpop
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
wes

It would be a good idea to warm your shop up a few hours before running the CW. It would be better if all the temperatures of all the components and lubes be about the same.

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't heat my wood shop unless I am going to work in it as I have not done the insulation and wall covering yet. I needed a quick 12 min V Text sign cut and with the shop at 35 degrees it cut well with no problems. Normally I would heat the shop before I start using a direct vent LP heater, the direct vent to eliminate sucking sawdust into the combustion chamber.

Got lucky and it worked fine.

AL

luckettg
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
After learning of the problems with cold, and experiencing some....I think?....I began to put a small space heater warming the CW for about 1/2 to 1 hour prior to using it. I also turn on the shop heat, but it can take several hours to warm the shop from 20F to 70F.
Greg Luckett
Michigan

Gunner
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
One of the bad things about letting your shop get below 50 degrees is that you will draw moisture into your machine. This is bad for not only the machine but, also the card. Which will hold all the info for your machine. You need to keep this unit above 50 degrees on an average to make sure you don't have problems with lubrication, or flexing of internal parts , such as the guide rods,drive gears, etc. If I let my shop get below 61 degrees I start to have problems. I only have about 100 hrs on my machine but I try to keep it warm, clean, and re-calibrate about every 20 hrs so that I don't have any major errors. So far it works for me. Read through the forum threads and make your own choices. Good luck and happy carving.

luckettg
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, Gunner. I am thinking that when I have the sound abatement box over the CW, the small interior space would be easy and inexpensive to keep heated.

castingman
02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Luckettg,

When you build your box be carfull about the dust, If you are going to hook up a DC unit [ that is a good idea ] you have to allow for the exchange of air.
I own a foundry and have to deal with dust and smoke alot and have learned how to move air around but mother nature will not allow you to take the air out without replaceing it with an equal amount.

Michael

luckettg
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I do not have foundry experience but do have some dealing with things like this. I appreciate your advice never-the-less, and will keep it in mind. Thanks for the tip! :)

I am thinking of just sticking a cardboard box with the bottom and top open, to create walls to channel the sound up, then closing in the top and bottom to heat a small space.
Greg Luckett
Michigan

castingman
02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
No problem, I get a little touchy about this, The goverment keeps the big eye on people how do what i do. They happen to be their today and put air pumps on half of my employes , But that happens all the time.

Michael

inklings
02-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi--so new at this that I don't even have a machine yet. But I've "made" TONS of stuff tonight in these few hours I've been mulling around the websites and forum! And I may want to talk myself into or out of buying one before Sears' sale goes off Saturday. . . . Am wondering about this temperature conversation: my problem is not going to be below-40-or-50 so much as it will be HIGH temps--I live in Tucson. My so-called shop is my garage and it gets pretty hot in our summer temperatures (could easily be 100 in there for days). Big problem?

Ron
02-29-2008, 05:14 AM
I keep my shop around 60 all the time,I would hate to think what condensation would do
inside the machine with the electrical components

Kenm810
02-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Hey inklings,

Welcome to the forum,
As long as you keep your machine out of the direct sun light
and add a medium size fan the to circulate the air around your machine
plus keeping an eye on the machines lubrication points, I think you should do fine.

A few years back my shop was on the second floor of our old building.
It had a Flat black tar roof and nearly floor to cieling windows on three sides and 8'x6' skylites, no a/c.
Temps often went to 100 or 105 degrees in the summer,
after adding some good sized fans, everything ran quite well.