PDA

View Full Version : Pen turning designs

wood-of-1kind
02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Hello all,

new guy here. Are there any PENTURNERS from this community that are using the Carvewright to place design elements on their pens(wood, acrylic)? Would dearly love to know of your experience(s) and how capable this machine is suited to handling designs on a very small "canvas". With a pen being so small, are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Will also welcome all non pen turners to share their story in terms of small designs going on their work.

Cheers to all.
-Peter-:D

castingman
02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Peter, Welcome to the forum, I turn pens also but i don't think you can hold them.

Michael

wood-of-1kind
02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Peter, Welcome to the forum, I turn pens also but i don't think you can hold them.

Michael

Thanks for the welcome, Michael. Is it possible to have a "jig" to hold the pens (cradle style)? Are you a member of IAP?
-Peter-

Kenm810
02-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Peter,

I've done a few presentation boxes for my turned pens, with small font text in Centerline and a couple small patterns, But the pens being round and so small, I haven't found a font or patterns small enough to look good on the pens themselves.
If you fine one let us all know.

Ps almost forgot http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif --- Welcome to the forum

castingman
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Peter,

Yes i am a member but i don't have any pics on there, I just found out how to post pics here.

I don't think you can do it but theres people on this forum way smarter than i am. They may be able to help.

Michael

wood-of-1kind
02-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Peter,

I've done a few presentation boxes for my turned pens, with small font text in Centerline and a couple small patterns, But the pens being round and so small, I haven't found a font or patterns small enough to look good on the pens themselves.
If you fine one let us all know.

Ps almost forgot http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif --- Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the greeting Ken. I'm beginning to lose hope before my hoping has started:cry: How small of a design has anyone created so far? Guess that I'm testing the limits of this machine with my small stringent requirements. In this case, (small) size does matter;)

-Peter-

hotpop
02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
You could probably do it building a jig to fixture the pen and inserting an engraving bit in the chuck. But the CW doesn't carve text on a round surface evenly.

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
It will come down to the smallest font size. After wanting to do plastic name tag size text I was not able to get it to look good. Smaller then 3/8 text was the best that I could get even with a Rotary Engraver bit cut down and using the V60 in designer. That was a long time ago and it is possible that the new program is better for smaller text.

I ended up getting a Rotary Engraver to fill that need.

AL

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
You could probably do it building a jig to fixture the pen and inserting an engraving bit in the chuck. But the CW doesn't carve text on a round surface evenly.

I saw this thread and...well....just had to give it a try.

Like Mel said, you just can't carve centerline text too well on a curved surface.

This MPC uses a 1/2" diameter pen (pretty fat for pens) and as you can see it, would be tough at best.

wood-of-1kind
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Guess the consensus seems to be that: NO CAN DO!!!!
-Peter-

Ralf the Dog
02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I have a similar question. If a person wanted to carve out a number of small 3 or four inch, fairly complex peaces that are one inch thick, can they do it? I would think that the peaces would jump around after they were carved from the initial board (Think thick puzzle peaces).

What is the smallest peace that can be carved?

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I have a similar question. If a person wanted to carve out a number of small 3 or four inch, fairly complex peaces that are one inch thick, can they do it? I would think that the peaces would jump around after they were carved from the initial board (Think thick puzzle peaces).

What is the smallest peace that can be carved?

You an cut out very small pieces. smaller than 3 or 4 inches for sure. The machine leaves little tabs at the bottom of the board to hold them in place. These tabs can then be cut with a utility knife to remove the pieces from the board

Ralf the Dog
02-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Very fast response, Thanks!

dr01allen
03-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Peter,

Why does the pen need to be round? I've seen some 3 sided pens that feel ok and would provide a flat surface for engraving.

Router-Jim
03-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Guess the consensus seems to be that: NO CAN DO!!!!
-Peter-

I wouldn't say no just yet. I've made lots of pens in the past so I understand the process, but never used the CC.

I believe you could use the machine to cut interesting things like inlayed shapes into your pen blank before you drill or turn it, think 1/4" diamonds or celtic knots, etc. You could fill with either contrasting wood or a product called liquid inlay or colored epoxy.

I think they would make very interesting pens.

Jim

wood-of-1kind
03-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't say no just yet. I've made lots of pens in the past so I understand the process, but never used the CC.

I believe you could use the machine to cut interesting things like inlayed shapes into your pen blank before you drill or turn it, think 1/4" diamonds or celtic knots, etc. You could fill with either contrasting wood or a product called liquid inlay or colored epoxy.

I think they would make very interesting pens.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
you're quite correct with the "infill" idea but carving intricate (small) designs is what I'm really looking for to use on my pen designs. The diamond and celtic knots I can do without the $2K+ expenditure right now. Engraving a customer name or company logo would also be a nice thing to do if this machine had such capability.
-Peter-

wood-of-1kind
03-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Peter,

Why does the pen need to be round? I've seen some 3 sided pens that feel ok and would provide a flat surface for engraving.

Methinks that a 3-sided pen would look interesting at first BUT may prove to be uncomfortable to hold after prolongred periods of writing. I'm a traditionalist and as such still expect my pens/pencils to be round. I do not want to discount your suggestion that a flat surface is good (easier) to place a design on the pen barrel. I appreciate your suggestion.
-Peter-

ncamp
03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
No Pen on this, but made some pen boxes from Walnut.

The picture does not show it, but the tops are have a pen slot on the base as well.

by the way, the white stuff in the pen grooves was residue from the Beall buffing system.

nathan

eromran
03-25-2008, 05:34 AM
-Peter-

I think liquidguitars from this site has probably done very small inlays on guitars also, I bought some adapter from someone on this board that made adapter for just that, accepting smaller bits than 1/4 like 1/16 shank also when i bought them there was talk of putting inlays on pool sticks seems like that would be close.

mtylerfl
03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
No Pen on this, but made some pen boxes from Walnut.

The picture does not show it, but the tops are have a pen slot on the base as well.

by the way, the white stuff in the pen grooves was residue from the Beall buffing system.

nathan

Nathan,

The pen boxes look great. Questions: Are you using small magnets to hold the top and bottom together? I observed the small drilled holes at the two corners and wondered if that was for the magnets. If so, where do you purchase them from?

Kenm810
03-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I use them occasionally, and get them a our local WoodCraft Store

http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=magnets

Rare Earth Magnets</SPAN>

Don't be fooled by the size of these small magnets. Rare earth magnets are recognized for their superior magnetic force and these magnets are true to their name. While these magnets are great for any project which will be hung on a metal surface, they also work well in small box tops, cabinet doors, or other applications where normal magnetic lid or door closing hardware is aesthetically unappealing.

Magnets, 10mm Diameter x 5mm Thick, (10) (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1139&productid=127197)
#127197 Price $11.99

Magnets, 8mm Diameter x 5mm Thick, (10) (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1139&productid=127198)
#127198 Price $10.99

Magnets, 10mm Diameter x 3mm Thick, (10) (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1139&productid=128471)
#128471 Price $7.99

Magnets, 9.5mm Diameter x 1.5mm Thick, (10) (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1139&productid=128472)
#128472 Price $5.50

mtylerfl
03-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Ken. Great info - I appreciate it!

andes
03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey NCAMP,

Did you do the pen cases on the CW?

Andes

ncamp
03-25-2008, 05:49 PM
mtylerfl,

I got the magnets at Woodcraft. They are 6mm x 3mm, super duper, I'll clear data from your hard drive at 25', rare earth magnets. Woodcraft no: 128473. Two on the bottom and two on the top. Make sure to but a dot on one side so you do not accidently put one in upside down.:rolleyes:

andes,

I did the pen boxes on the CW. The cutouts for the pens was a path with a 1/2" ball nose bit. The top is a double dome surface. I did have one problem, the holes on the bottom of the top were offset by about 1/8" from where they were supposed to be. The end of my board was not exactly square. I believe this is where the problem came from. I had some walnut dowel left over from some Christmas ornaments, so I plugged the holes and redrilled. That is why my picture did not show the bottom of the top. :)

If you are intrested, attached is the mpc file for two boxes. Don't worry about the hole on the left end of the pattern. I was just a test.

It's cool watching the CW carve out the pen recesses on all three axies at the same time.

Nathan

By the way, I the holes for the magnets are too deep on the mpc file. I had to shim the magnets to get them to the proper level.

andes
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the mpc Nathan. I think the pen boxs are cool. I will be including them on my list of things to carve for Christmas. Thanks again.

Andes

Dan-Woodman
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
nathan
Thanks for the mpc of the pen boxes,really cool.
I may have to try one with a couple of initials on top.
later Daniel

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Nathan,

Your Pen Cases look Great, Thanks so much for Sharing

stubrown
03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Was looking for the project. Where is it hidden

Stu:p

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Stu,

Straight up this thread posts # 18 and 24 by Nathan http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif
Pen Box 3 with Dome mag test.mpc (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10724&d=1206484878)

ncamp
03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Nathan,

Your Pen Cases look Great, Thanks so much for Sharing

I like what you have done to them. I gotta get centerline text.

nathan