PDA

View Full Version : cast corners

castingman
02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
We cast some corners at 1:30 to day with some sucess I never cleaned them up after carveing.

Gunner
02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Very nice.
Looks like something to play with but , you have the advantage on us.

Still, very nice looking.
Good luck.

castingman
02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Gunner,

Thanks, it was just something to try, I will be working on this kinda stuff somemore. I have some ideas that i think will be cool looking, Right now kinda hard to explain.

Buy the way, Old biker dude myself and still at it.

Thanks Michael

jpeter14
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
The attached "trim " pieces are CW carved and gold leafed. Carved them, carved copy inverted, "re-sawed on scroll saw to very thin, put into inverted cut-out and sanded down.

John

Will try to attach pics next post

jpeter14
02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
The attached "trim " pieces are CW carved and gold leafed. Carved them, carved copy inverted, "re-sawed on scroll saw to very thin, put into inverted cut-out and sanded down.

John

Finally got Pics attached

castingman
02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
John,

Thats realy nice work ! I have'n even sanded mine yet, just putem ini the sand.

jpeter14
02-29-2008, 11:39 AM
They are carved out of pine on the machine, then sanding is on the back side when they are upside down in the inverted carved part/"mold" I carved, I sand them until the scrape wood is removed and only the profile shows. Once they are just the profile, I then gold leaf them.

mtylerfl
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
They are carved out of pine on the machine, then sanding is on the back side when they are upside down in the inverted carved part/"mold" I carved, I sand them until the scrape wood is removed and only the profile shows. Once they are just the profile, I then gold leaf them.

Excellent - very nice indeed.

CustomWestCoast
02-29-2008, 11:32 PM
CastingMan,

Are you using any Coverflux for you aluminum? I was also wondering what type of sand you are using and do you mix your own sand. I have read about greensand and how it captures the fine details in castings. I have been looking for places around here that sell the ingredients to make my own casting sand.

castingman
03-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Westcoast,

No we do not use cover flux, Aluminum keeps a layer of oxide over it all the time. The trick is to keep the oxide out of the important stuff like engine blocks.

The [ greensand ] is just dry float sand #110 screen mixed with petro bond and oil. When the sand is in good shape i can cast my finger print.

I am going to vegas for a few days for a trade show you can PM me and i will help you when i get back.

Michael

mtylerfl
03-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Westcoast,

No we do not use cover flux, Aluminum keeps a layer of oxide over it all the time. The trick is to keep the oxide out of the important stuff like engine blocks.

The [ greensand ] is just dry float sand #110 screen mixed with petro bond and oil. When the sand is in good shape i can cast my finger print.

I am going to vegas for a few days for a trade show you can PM me and i will help you when i get back.

Michael

I just love the idea of making castings. However, I don't think I'll likely be doing metal castings since I have neither the know-how nor equipment to do so.

What I am thinking is that your techniques could be used to make plaster castings (mainly to make decorative appliqués). Seems reasonable to me that it could be done, but wanted your opinion on that when you have the chance.

Kenm810
03-01-2008, 07:59 AM
If your interested in casting with out a forge and on a smaller budget,
here's some info and reading material for you.
http://www.smooth-on.com/archrest.htm
www.youtube.com/SmoothOnInc (http://www.youtube.com/SmoothOnInc)
Go to the Freeman Video Library (http://www.freemansupply.com/video.htm)
I'd love to have the ability to do the metal castings that Michael the Castingman has shown us,
but that's a whole different line of Craftsmenship and Art form what we do.