PDA

View Full Version : Cover Open error

a-abrown
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
On the last four small projects, I've had the machine stop with the "close cover, press enter" on the display. This occurred several times during each project (every 1-5 minutes out of the 30 run time). On the last project, after several stops/restarts using "enter", I got a "Z-axis stall, error 246". I turned CC off, then on (Z-axiz stall cleared), went to project and found that the door sensor again indicates open (although physically closed). Recycled machine again. Under Option/(7) Sensor Check, saw "Cover Switch: open". With cover open, I used small dowels to depress both L and R switches; still "door open".

Emailed CarveWright; awaiting response. Any other ideas??

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2008, 11:45 AM
A situation like this is where the 'Search' function is really helpful. There seems to be a few common causes for this problem. I'll mention them briefly and invite you to use 'Search' for more detailed information. BTW, the front (near keypad) switch is the one that gives you the close cover message.

a) The switch gets sawdust in it. A handful of folks have had this problem. Sometimes blowing the switch out or electrical contact cleaner will do the trick.

b) Where the switch harness plugs into the machine becomes loose. This one is not real common, but can happen if you have ever had the cover off the machine.

c) The little circuit board in the Z-truck goes bad and causes false sensor readings. The easy way to check for this is to unplug the small (about 3/8" wide) ribbon cable that runs from the Z-truck to the Z-motor interconnect board, from the board. You will need to take the top loose to do this. CarveWright has re-engineered that section of the machine and the little circuit board is no longer needed, unless you have a probe, in which case they have an adapter.

Hope that helps...

a-abrown
02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Good start to the diagnosis.
a) Blew out the switches; still "close cover"
b) Checked connector on the board (remove and replace); pushed in solidly.
c) Removed the 1/4" ribbon cable that runs from the Z-truck to the Z-motor (after remoning the black cover carefully). Turned on the machine, still "close cover".
d) Searched for common problems on the Forum (searched for "open, cover"), found several. As a result, I checked the left switch with a multimeter; AOK. All screws tight. Can hear the switch close.

Will call LHR (have not heard as a result of yesterday's email).

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
In the sensor test menu, scroll past the screen that shows the cover switch. Do you get reading from the other sensors? You can spin the chuck by hand to make the RMP sensor reading change.

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
I found myself in your situation after removing the cover. Found that I had inserted the plug into the circuit board 180 degrees out and didn't notice.... The 2 little guide runners on the white plug still let me force it.... If it doesn't fit PUSH HARDER.... Snicker....

Look for a pinches wire too.

Good Luck,

AL

a-abrown
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
I scrolled the sensor menu at Jeff's suggestion with the following results:
Cover Switch: open
Front Roller: Released (with a board under it and screwed down)
Back Roller: Released ( " )
Board Sensor: 6
Y Position: 0.000
Z Position: 0.000
X Position: 0.000
Board Tracking: 0.000
Probe State: Closed
Cut Sensor: 0
Command (0 Toggles): Off
Present=N ID=1 Status=0

Any conclussions??

a-abrown
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Per DigitalWoodShop, I checked the wires (no pinches) and the plug (in correctly, glides aligned).

Ready to try whatever.

Jeff_Birt
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking you need to call CW on this. It seems like none of your sensors are reading properly.

a-abrown
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Got a return call fro Carvewright (Lewis) who walked me through a diagnosis. First thought that the cover switch was bad, then (magically) the switch (in Options/Sensors) showed "closed" and all other sensors worked again. But when a new project was started, the "door open" again appeared and finally "Z-axis stall, error 236". New call to CW and we are replacing the Z-motor pack (including the circuit board). Welcome cost (out of warrenty by 6 days), $40 (+$12 shipping). Instructions for installing are all pictures and very clear! (As usual.) An excellent outcome. Back to carving projects soon!