PDA

View Full Version : Curious if I can do these projects with a CarveWright

carvingoutaniche
02-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Howdy gang,

I'm just learning about the CarveWright machine. Is it possible to use this machine to make something like ceiling fan blades? Meaning, could I take a blank piece of wood and have the machine cut the shape of the ceiling fan blade as well as the detailed carvings on the blade itself? Or would I have to cut the blade to the shape I wanted first, then just let the CarveWright do the image carving on the blade that way?

Also curious if anyone uses it to make things like drink coasters. Please pardon the rudimentary questions; I'm an admitted noob on this stuff. :oops:

TIMCOSBY
02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
juyst an amazing machine. download the trial software and play with it.

Router-Jim
02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
First off welcome to the forum.

Your machine should have no problem carving and cutting out ceiling fan blades. Coasters and trivets are easy to make as well as being a good learning experience for using the Designer program. They also don't waste much wood. LOL

Go to the gallery forum and go to the second search area. The one that says "Search this forum" Search for coaster and then again for trivets and there should be quite a few to look at. You will find some actual patterns posted in the pattern sharing department that you can download and use.

Hope that helps.

Jim

oldjoe
02-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Wow another neat idea this machine will do this in your sleep. And it will drill the mounting holes also. But you will need to build a sled because fan blades are only 1/4" thick and the machine will only go down to 1/2".

The "DH"
02-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Welcome, what a neat idea (another one that I need to keep my from wife) and YES you can do it with a good design and sled as mentioned, should you do it make sure you post some pics!!!
Happy Carving

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Basically, if you can design it properly, the CW can cut it properly.

John
02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Howdy gang,

I'm just learning about the CarveWright machine. Is it possible to use this machine to make something like ceiling fan blades? Meaning, could I take a blank piece of wood and have the machine cut the shape of the ceiling fan blade as well as the detailed carvings on the blade itself? Or would I have to cut the blade to the shape I wanted first, then just let the CarveWright do the image carving on the blade that way?

Every fan blade I have seen is made from plywood, for very good reasons. I have done a little carving on plywood and the results are very marginal.

hotpop
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't know why fan blades would be a problem. I was thinking about that same thing just a few days ago but put it on the back burner for a while. Sounds like fun project.

Many blades are made of tempered masonite.

Mikewiz
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey carvingoutaniche,

I'd make sure all the blades weight the same, so if you plan on making different carvings on each bade, becareful because it might throw the fan motor out of balance damaging the motor bearings.

Mike.

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey carvingoutaniche,

I'd make sure all the blades weight the same, so if you plan on making different carvings on each bade, becareful because it might throw the fan motor out of balance damaging the motor bearings.

Mike.

That's a REALLY good point Mike!

carvingoutaniche
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. So solid wood would not be a viable option for carving fan blades? Would there likely be warping issues with such long, thin pieces? Or would it just be kind of pricey?

Every fan blade I have seen is made from plywood, for very good reasons. I have done a little carving on plywood and the results are very marginal.

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. So solid wood would not be a viable option for carving fan blades? Would there likely be warping issues with such long, thin pieces? Or would it just be kind of pricey?

I think a good quality stable (maybe ash) but any solid wood would work fine. Just don't let it lay around too long before sealing it completely.

ChrisAlb
02-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey Al,

That's some pretty snazzy looking carving going on. Nice Work neighbor!!

Kenm810
02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Al,

My wife pulled this photo out of one of her Quilting Mags,
And put them on my to-do list. As soon as I saw the photo I thought of you and you’re Quilting Racks.
She says these Wall hung Jr. Sized Quilt Racks are getting popular as gifts for Infant or Nursery Rooms.
They measure for 28” to 36” x 5” with a small Curtain Rod and a couple of clips (I suppose a ½” dowel rod would do.)
Anyway I thought I’d past the info along to you, for your inventory,
they seem a natural for your carving machines with few of you patterns. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Router-Jim
02-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Butternut would work perfect. Very light weight, stable, and carves...well......like butter. :D

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
That image went into my "Idea" folder.... Thanks !!!

As for Quilt Racks..... For the year.... Sold 2 gave away 3.... Not a hot mover at my price.... Going to have a spring sale..... The follow on Wine / Book / CD rack did good.

Quilt stuff is hot.... in some markets.

Thanks,

AL

Kenm810
02-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Quilt Racks..... to many quilt and sewing shops around here,
even the corner mom and pop convenience stores sale quilt rack kits.

badger
02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Quilt Racks..... to many quilt and sewing shops around here,
even the corner mom and pop convenience stores sale quilt rack kits.

Thats where your salesmanship comes in. Put a sample in there and let customers know you customize a design to their liking. Gets your customers thinking "Now ya know Martha that would look great with such and such a design"

Why buy a kit when you personalize your own.:cool:

Kenm810
02-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I was in sales for 15 years and ran two Show Rooms
That was over 30 years ago and cured me of dealing with the general public.
I’m to old and crusty now and don’t think of sales as entertainment anymore.
To set in my ways now I guess, I leave the salesmanship to the younger folks now,
and let them work at making a living trying to sell something to me.

badger
02-27-2008, 08:16 PM
and let them work at making a living trying to sell something to me.

lol, that sounds tougher then it looks