PDA

View Full Version : Hard Surfaced Formica...

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Wanted to get some opinions. I went to the local cabinet shop and the guy was willing to give me some scraps. Even more so when i offered up to make him a nice name plaque for his desk out of cherry. After that offer he told me sure come back anytime and pick up all the scraps you want. Which was a good deal for me. Now i got to ask, all he dealt with was what he called hard surfaced formica. He told me hard surfaced formica was the same as corian just more expensive. Said it cuts the same, routs and sands the same and said i shouldnt have no problem carving with it. Anybody have any luck with that or have tried that with good results. I just wanted ask about it before i give it the test run. Also do i need a sled or guide board or something or can i just run it like a board? Its .50 thick, various sizes. I already cut some it cuts well, actually better than wood. Would as always appreciate an opinion.

02-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Wow you mean to tell me no one can tell me whether hard surfaced formica can or will carve without damdging my machine? Any one that has done this or anything similar please let me know.... Thanks.

TIMCOSBY
02-27-2008, 11:55 PM
and work up from there. let us know with pics preferablely.

TIMCOSBY
02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
waiting on you!!!!!! if it blows your machine up we'll all say glad i didn't try that.:D

HighTechOkie
02-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I pressume your guy meant solid surface. If so, it is just Formica's take on Corian (Dupont). The main thing is keep the machine clean, as that stuff wants to stick to everything.

Rob

Kenm810
02-28-2008, 07:34 AM
The material you’re describing“Hard Surfaced Formica” must be something relatively new or a local product name that I have not heard of. The Formica brand lament I’ve used is a thin 1/32” or 1/6” veneer used for cabinets and counter tops or the like, with a few different surfaces, like textured, mat, gloss, slate plus more. What I see in your photos looks like cast material, something like Corian with a few colors running through it. Possibly other are also having a hard time recognizing it, and that might account of the lack of input.

Ps Here's a thought I just borrowed from "Gunner"
Try a test carve using a dremel tool? If it carves with the dremel it will probably carve with the CW.

02-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes i think its solid surfaced formica thats the correct name for it. I was just going by what the cabinet guy called it cause i dont know much about the material and thought the cabinet guy would know better than me. Its actually a grayish color all the way through. Well im going to try it so ill posts the results here soon.

liquidguitars
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
shoud work as its is a soild surface but it is $$ and will need a wood substrate if you get it new.

LG

David Myers
02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
The material in you photo looks like some of the Corian that I have carved. It comes in various colors and most of it is 1/2" thick. I have carved a lot of it and it carves great.
Be aware that it creates a lot of static electricity and the little carvings cling to every thing.

David

DocWheeler
02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
twinpeaksenterprises,

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.
One of my daughters worked for formica, and there are several makers of similar products each with slightly different formulations.
So, it would be like working with different types of wood. After reading about teak on this forum, I would use caution with makers other than Dupont.

By all means, let us know your results.

02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey thanks Doc, Yes it is dupont formica and if i wasnt told different i would of guessed it was corian. I already cut some on the table saw and radial arm saw and it gut great. Will try a piece as soon as possible. I would of done so today but im struggling with my board sensor, so hopefully tommorow i will clear that up and yes i will post my results.