PDA

View Full Version : need help with milk paint and stain

carvewood2007
02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
I have finished my carved project and now I want to paint and stain it. I would like to use milk paint. Do I stain first and then paint or paint first and then stain? Can someone recommend a good stain? I was trying to use plain tung oil but after days of drying it's leaving an oily film on my hands. Any advice on tung oil? Has anyone used it successfully? Please help!!!!

Barbara

oldjoe
02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
What are you trying to do I guess that is the first question. I always use Minnwax products. Both the stains, clear finishes, and the stain\poly one step all work well. There have been lots of people who have used tung oil especially on cherry.
Sorry I wasn't more help. As far as order I have put clear finishes over milk paint to protect it and it worked.
Just make sure you post pictures of the finished product.

mtylerfl
02-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I did a painted/stained kitchen plaque recently for my mother-in-law (this past Christmas). Here's the details on the finish...

Wood: Pine
Dimensions: 10" x 17"
Finish: in the following order...

1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one quick, very light coat (thinned mixture is 2 parts sealer with 3 parts Denatured Alcohol)
2) Paint - Acrylic Craft Paints
3) Stain - Minwax 'Puritan Pine' # 218
4) Clearcoat - Minwax Clear Satin Wipe-On Poly (3 coats)

And another project - a Hummingbird plaque - stained and topcoated.

Wood: Pine
Dimensions: 8" x 11"
Finish:
1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one quick, very light coat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured Alcohol)
2) Stain - Minwax 'Sedona Red' # 222
3) Clearcoat - Minwax Clear Satin Wipe-On Poly (3 coats)
4) Gold Stripe Accent - Elmer's Fine Point Gold Metallic Paint Marker

I LOVE the MinWax stains and wipe-on poly - that's pretty much all I use!