PDA

View Full Version : New Machine

Big Bob
02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Well my CarveWright came to day in excellent condition. I have been reading all my forum maintance notes and checking the machine over. The biggest thing is that it looks like nothing is lubed. The flexshaft is very dry. But ever thing looks good. I don't think I will cut wood this week but will take time understanding all the forum notes. I am excited about the machine.:D

www.go3d.us
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Congratulation on your new machine!
I did my first carve right out of the box. :) and it was great.
Happy carving!
HT

Gunner
02-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Congratulations.
Welcome to the group of sawdust makers.
Happy carving.
Read the manual, keep the machine clean,and have fun.

Gunner

LittleRedWoodshop
02-26-2008, 09:07 AM
And try not to stand around watching the machine work, like I do, because you never get anything done. (well I don't anyway) This is one amazing tool, and it's a heck of alot of fun.

oldjoe
02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Congrats on the machine it is a great and fastenating machine to watch kind of hypnotic to watch. Especially centerline text for some reason I can't pull myself away when it is doing that operation. Carving I can walk away from took some dicepline but I was finally able to do it for carving but centerline text forget it I compare it to chocolate can't stay away from it no matter how hard I try. :rolleyes:

Big Bob
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Well I got started and it's fun to watch. I use to ave big plotter and had to watch that.

I due have a problem. It will not measure the length correctly. Board is 27.25 and CartWright says it is 20.346. I has done this on 2 different boards. Checked to make sure the side guide is set to where it moves freely.
Is there anything else to check?

www.go3d.us
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
If you want to watch...get some ear plugs first. :)

HT

Big Bob
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Congratulations.
Welcome to the group of sawdust makers.
Happy carving.
Read the manual, keep the machine clean,and have fun.

Gunner

Hi Gunner
Had 1 problem but got is solved. Thanks for the forum. Had a problem with the CW measuring the length. The problem was one support table was 1/32 to high. Problem fixed.
I due have one problem with the forum, how due I start a new post? can't find the right button.
Thanks
Bob

AskBud
02-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Bob,
I think you need to go back to where the main topics are, rather than this Thread/Post.
When you click on the Main Topic, you will see a Blue Box at the top that says "New Thread".
AskBud

Kenm810
02-26-2008, 05:33 PM
If you click on the large CarveWright Plaque
above the blue box
it well take you back to the Fourm Menu http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

luckettg
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
If you want to watch...get some ear plugs first. :)

HT

It is noisy, even with my ear plugs on. I have been thinking of building a box with sound deadning to enclose the CW. Of course it will need clear plastic windows to allow me to watch the carving....or at least checking on it. I think a lot of the sound is coming from the metal file cabinet it is sitting on too. Perhaps a rubber mat and a wood table would help. I will experiment.

Has anyone here done anything like this?
Greg Luckett
Michigan

Kenm810
02-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Home Depot Have ½” x 24 or 30 inch Sound and Vibration dampening rubber pad material that they sell for about $9.00 a ft off the roll.
If you use a Down Draft Table or Cabinet, you can cut a slot in the pad to accommodate the machines bottom dust and chip vent.
Machine supply companies also sell it in 3/4" by the sq. ft.

luckettg
02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the tip! I will swing by there tomorrow and pick some up.

I have started to work on other things while the CW machine runs and some noise abatement will be good. I worry the neighbors can hear it and if they are irritated. I have been shutting it off on week nights about 9PM and weekends about 10:30 or so, but would like to work later. Incidently, I am working in my garage that has been converted to a shop. I bet a big card board box would cut a lot of the sound. More experimentation to do.:)

LittleRedWoodshop
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
My shop is far enough off the beaten path that noise really isn't an issue. But, for my hearing and the poeple that want to visit my shop, some kind of sound deadening would be nice.

Starting drawings today, to house 2 machines. Thanks for the kick in the pants guys, needed to do this months ago.

cnsranch
02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Search threads for flexshaft lube. It's recommended that the shaft be lubed immediately before using. I didn't learn that until after 3 or so hours of use. I found lube - with moly - at Home Depot for about $3. I put the shaft in a baggie, flooded it, and left it for about 12 hours. Make sure you hang the shaft vertically after lubing to allow excess to drain off - threads say that you can do damage to the head of the machine if the lube drains there.

My flexshaft is staying barely warm to the touch - lube's the way to go.

luckettg
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
My shop is far enough off the beaten path that noise really isn't an issue. But, for my hearing and the poeple that want to visit my shop, some kind of sound deadening would be nice.

Starting drawings today, to house 2 machines. Thanks for the kick in the pants guys, needed to do this months ago.

I work part time at KitchenAid/Whirlpool on small, portable appliances. Some of those get really loud while testing. That is where I have found a simple cardboard box to do wonders with noise abatement. Soft foam rubber helps cut noise too.
Greg in Michigan

luckettg
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the tip on lubing. I picked up some at Ace a couple of days ago and will do the baggy trick.