PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day To Play In The Sand

castingman
02-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Cast two new signs today, one foam and one wood.
The draft tool works great

Michael Trying to post pic.

castingman
02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Try again Hope this works.
Michael

mtylerfl
02-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Try again Hope this works.
Michael

Those look great, Michael!

I don't understand the sand-casting procedure...do you carve a sign out of wood, then press it into the sand to make an impression, then just pour in the liquid metal in the depression? Seems like the liquid would "mess up" the sand as it is poured in, but I guess not(?).

Say, a little tip for ya...you shouldn't post in the "Test Forum" section 'cause it's cleaned out (deleted) regularly. You should post your wonderful projects and pictures in the Gallery section so they can be viewed and enjoyed "forever"!

castingman
02-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Michael T Sorry about the post area, I did not know, I had a hard enough time posting that one but i am learning.
I have more Pics to post tomorrow i was a little pressed for time. [ I hope ] The sand is packed hard , the sand in that mold is hard as cement, Thats why i needed the draft tool and it works fantastic !
I have an 8" buffing wheel comeing tomorrow so i can try buffing.
I will post more pics [ I hope ] of makeing the mold tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words, Michael

Jeff_Birt
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Very cool castingman! Great new use for the CW. I take it you are carving the foam. Packing casting sand around the foam and then letting the molten aluminum melt the foam and displace it as the casting is poured? Are there any special mold venting considerations when using foam like this?

Also, I moved your post to this section so it would not get deleted.

castingman
02-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Jeff, Yes , If yoy look at the pic of pouring the mold you will se at the right side a hole, This helps vent gas and allow for shrink. That mold had two patterns, one foam and one wood [ jellow shot ] The wood one came out better. The pink foam is not ment for casting it comes out dirty but can be cleaned up. With the wood carveing you will always have the pattern and can make more castings, The foam is burned out. Draft !!! You have to take the wood pattern out of the sand, the draft allows it to release.

The third pic shows the mold with the wood pattern out and the foam still in.
Michael

mtylerfl
02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Jeff, Yes , If yoy look at the pic of pouring the mold you will se at the right side a hole, This helps vent gas and allow for shrink. That mold had two patterns, one foam and one wood [ jellow shot ] The wood one came out better. The pink foam is not ment for casting it comes out dirty but can be cleaned up. With the wood carveing you will always have the pattern and can make more castings, The foam is burned out. Draft !!! You have to take the wood pattern out of the sand, the draft allows it to release.

The third pic shows the mold with the wood pattern out and the foam still in.
Michael

That is really, really neat. Now I've got the urge to do metal castings too - where does it all end?!

I am going to bet that you'll make a lot of $$$ selling metal cast signs once the word spreads that you can do that kind of superb custom work!

castingman
02-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Michael T, Thanks Not ready to sell yet, still working out some bugs.
I am going to try to post a pic of the mold filling with sand. I my camera softwear is not being a very good sport.
Michael

Router-Jim
02-26-2008, 07:26 AM
I've been following your posts and must say that every picture you post makes it easier to understand. Thanks for sharing.

So in your last picture, you have your forms in the bottom, pour in the sand, pack, and then flip the whole thing over?

castingman
02-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Jim , Yes, With this sand it hardens in about 15 mins. I think you said you had some copper, I have an extra furnace i am going to hook up and try some out of brass, they should look cool !
I have some other ideas to try as well.
Michael

hotpop
02-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Very interesting thread, very educational.

Thanks.

Gunner
02-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Very nice work. I worked at an aluminum casting shop when I was a kid. Brings back memories.

Gunner

Eagle Hollow
02-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Castingman,

Keep it coming! Another fascinating use for this wonderful, frustrating, satisfying invention called Carvewright.

Jerry

castingman
02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks Guys, This is the part of this job i like ! I have a customer that i just quoted some name plates for , My local pattern maker wants $600.00 for the pattern, guess I'll try that one myself.
Some time back i cut some corners with my CW, I set the depth at .375 and set up my bandsaw to cut them loose, I have a couple extra , any bets they hit the sand tomorrow?

Michael