PDA

View Full Version : PNG File Options

mwildes
02-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I use Photoshop to perform most of my graphic editing. I had never used png files until I bought the CW. When saving files as png, I get a window titled "PNG Options" and "Interlace". I have to select either "none" or "interlaced". Does anyone know what this option means, and which I should select for best CW performance?

ChrisAlb
02-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I use Photoshop to perform most of my graphic editing. I had never used png files until I bought the CW. When saving files as png, I get a window titled "PNG Options" and "Interlace". I have to select either "none" or "interlaced". Does anyone know what this option means, and which I should select for best CW performance?

Hi mwildes,

The Help file in you application can answer this specific to Photoshop but Inter laced and non interlaced is the same for all. I use PSP Photo X2. Bottom line is...it doesn't matter for the CW. It's a matter of how the file is downloaded and displayed on screen and web pages.

Perhaps this will help...

Working with PNG files

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo lets you optimize PNG files to maximize quality and minimize file size.
The PNG Optimizer dialog box contains three tabbed areas where you can configure the color, transparency, and format options of the file. The fourth page displays estimated download times of the image at various modem speeds.
PNG Optimizer Format

PNG images can be interlaced or non-interlaced, which affects how the image is displayed on a computer with a slow Internet connection.

•Non-interlaced — the image downloads one line at a time, starting from the top
•Interlaced — the image is displayed incrementally in several passes; detail is added with each pass. Use this option with larger images so that the viewer can get an idea of how the image looks while waiting for it to download

mwildes
02-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanx Christopher! I tried searching the Photoshop help file with no avail. Probably just searching incorrectly. I sure appreciate your thorough answer, and will no longer fret over Interlaced or Non-interlaced.

Marty