PDA

View Full Version : Lithopane Lighting

tstryk
02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
On my first attempt, I tried lighting with the halogen puck lights, and it was ok at best - nothing close to what I want. The second time, I used an independent puck light that was simply placed beind the litho on a stand. This time I made a double socket setup similar to what one finds in a ceiling light. I used screw-in flurescent bulbs...that was MUCH better. What do you folks use for lighting??

CustomWestCoast
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Here is a post from the forum from a while back. I still use these lights and they work great.

www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29305#post29305

IM2HAPPI
02-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I use same as CWC and they do work well. I went to Home Deot and found a 3 pack that regularly sold for 29.95 on sale for 12.00. I bought all they had out.

tstryk
02-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Ah HA! Now I know the secret. I did not see those at Home Depot, but now I will look more thoroughly. Those are perfect!

Durtdawber
02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm using the same thing. Couple of questions...

- How do you mount them behind the litho?

- Do you worry about the heat they produce?

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Dont have any experience with lithopanes. But was thinking would be cool is like a "In Loving Memory" carving with a photo and build a box where a large candle fits into the box and the carving would show whenever the candle is lit. Anybody think he candle would produce enough light to show the lithopane?

Kenm810
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Because of our small Grand Children, we don’t use regular candles any more.
Instead Barb has found Electric or Battery powered flicker candles. We gave sets as gifts for Christmas to our kids for a little safety their homes too. I did try the small tea candle size for a small Carving on a piece of Clear ¼”Acrylic that I frosted, I glued the Carved piece to another smaller piece of Acrylic to form a letter L and put the flickering tea candle on the lower part of the L behind the carving, it was not real bright, but in a room with low ambient light, the flickering Carving looked Great.

Ps The one I used is the same as the one
on my bench in Photo #3

mtylerfl
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Another Great idea - thanks!

bobreda
02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I use these, they are a little more expensive but I don't worry about heat.
http://www.vibelights.com/coldcathodes.html

IM2HAPPI
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Mine came with mounting screws. As far as heat, these produced the least out of all the different kinds Home Depot was selling. Led gave off considerable more heat than these.