PDA

View Full Version : STL OBJ Conversion

jpaluck
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Does anyone have a way to convert obj or stl files? I have tried image analyzer but it loses alot of detail/depth.

Thanks

John

dougmsbbs
02-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Please see private message I sent you.

jpaluck
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Doug

sent you a private back

thanks

john

Bubbabear
02-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey guys if we have a way of doing this lets share in the forum so everyone can see :)

dougmsbbs
02-24-2008, 03:41 PM
>>Hey guys if we have a way of doing this lets share in the forum so everyone can see.

It's not a big secret to some on this forum, but I'm working on software that will do a lot of this. The problem is it's not really ready for release, and I just started to Beta test it a week ago.
The reason I sent a PM is because I'm really not sure the forum is the place to discuss it. While I have it aimed directly at CW users, I don't think LHR would like me to highjack thier forums to support my software. Unless a moderator tells me different, I feel it's best left off the forums.
I'll get the word out when we feel it's ready for release, which I hope is soon. Meanwhile, please excuse our little private thing...

rjustice
02-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I have used this converter with success...

http://www.filedudes.com/CtrlView-download-29677.html

Import .STL and export as to .PNG , You can then import into designer.

If you are creating your own .STL files, you will want to set your output resolution to .001 to get the best definition. In CtrlView you can set the background to black if you wish to remove the "frame".

Hope this helps...

Ron

Jeff_Birt
02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
I recently discovered that MeshCAm makes a program called MeshCAM Art. While its not cheap at $500. I have played with the demo some and it seems to work well. Best of all it will output heightmaps in PNG format.

http://www.grzsoftware.com/art.php

I think the user interface is rather goofy but other than that it seems to be a good solution for serious pattern makers.

jpaluck
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Jeff

I have using meshcam for about 2 weeks now...have you figured out how to lower the puffiness?

jpaluck
02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Here is an example done in meshcam