PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor Answer?

ChrisAlb
02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
OK folks,

Perhaps this "may" explain all the board sensor errors even on NEW Machines??

As a some of you know. My sensor coughed up it's diodes on that long Facade carve. So I called LHR and they very graciously sent me a new one under warranty. While I had them on the phone I decided to pay for a second one as a back up. Good thing I did.

After 3 roughly 15 minute test carves over 3 days, I could no longer get past the dreaded "Clean board sensor" error. I wiped and cleaned as I've done since owning it and nothing. Ran a sensor check and got a 20. Just for kicks I put a mirror under it and BANG, 150. But without it, best was 20.

So I took it out and when I looked closely, It looked like it was filthy. I wiped and wiped and nothing. Upon even closer inspection I realized that one diode had actually melted the inside of the plastic window.

In the picture are both "new"? sensors side by side. The one on the left never used, the one on the right after the 3 short carves.

Is it possible for infrared diodes to emit this kind of heat?? There's no doubt folks, what you're seeing is on the "inside" of the window still sealed with (whatever they seal it with). If this can happen with a New Sensor, it might explain why even some NEW machines are having this issue.

I'll call LHR Monday. Not to complain but to inform. I'll also keep a very close eye on the second one in there now. (just did one short carve)

Only question now is, do I send for another or just pull the window?

To be continued.......

Jeff_Birt
02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Looks more like some extra sealent to me. There is no way a normal IR LED would do this as it will only output out 20 mW.

ChrisAlb
02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Looks more like some extra sealent to me. There is no way a normal IR LED would do this as it will only output out 20 mW.

My thinking as well but I assure you, it didn't look like this going in. Looked just like the other one. I'll admit Jeff, I'm puzzled here.

Kenm810
02-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Chris,

A few months ago my board sensor was giving the same kind of grief as yours is doing now.
I tried everything you have so far, then remembered a forum member saying he had open his board sensor to clean in it.
In the process he lost the small plastic lens, he remounted the sensor and found that he was getting a 150 reading,
so he continued to carve with the machine until the new board sensor arrived.
I thought I'd try it because I had a few projects with due dates I didn't want to miss.
I removed the lens and got a 155 reading, and have been since.
I don't think it a recommended practice but I was in a pinch. So use your own judgment,
Please understand I have ordered a board Sensor and will install it "intact" when I get my machine back from Texas. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

ChrisAlb
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks Ken,

I have the second "back up" one I bought in there now and after one carve, it still looks like it did in the picture before putting it in. I also ran my machine without the window on my original sensor for months with no problem at all until it coughed up the diodes.

I know the new sensor with the now clouded window still works and I'm sure if I pull the window out, it will until it coughs up it's diodes if ever. I was just thinking maybe this would explain some of the numerous errors we see out there.

I have to agree with Jeff (with my Dad, having been an electronics engineer all my life), I know IR diodes don't produce much heat...BUT, I'm at a loss to explain how this happened? Perhaps I'll just pull the window to verify what's inside. All I know for sure right now is it's not on the outside.