PDA

View Full Version : New On Forum

Greg D
02-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey guys I just came on the forum and started reading and I'm totally confused. It sound like people are having big problems with their CarveWright machines and it is scaring me away from purchsing it. Are there two different machines? CarveWright and a Sears model CompuCarve? I sure dont want to sink thousands of dollars in a machine that doesn't last...

thanks

Greg D

DocWheeler
02-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Grerg,

Welcome.
There are plenty of posts to cause you concern.

With 10,000 to 14,000 machines out there think of how many people are happy with them compared to the ones that aren't.

Most of the time the unhappy ones are people that are not experienced enough in various ways to own one. And, there are some screwed-up machines.

You are going to have determine your comfort level.

busta
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Doc hit it right on the head.

While there may be a few "bad" machines, by and large I think the biggest problem is operator error. Some folks think you just plug it in and away you go.

As with everything there is a 'learning curve'. I say buy it and enjoy yourself! I've never regretted for one minute owning mine.

Barry

www.go3d.us
02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I was panic the first time I got "Please load board piece" message keep showing on my second carve. But then I figured out that I didn't apply enough pressure on the roller. :) It run fine after that.
HT

jhennessey
02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
It seems the only difference between the two machines is the labeling on the machine. Carvewright is obviously manufacturing them for Sears. Sears does offer an on-site service and warranty not available elsewhere. Its pricey but may be worth it.

hotpop
02-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Sears does offer an on-site service and warranty not available elsewhere.

Has anyone used Sears on-site service for the CC machines? Did the service person solve a problem on site? Did the service person know what they were doing?

The reason I'm asking is when I firrst got my machine I had a problem. I called Sears 800 number for Repair Service, they had no clue what kind of machine I was talking about. They set up an appointment with the local Sears Repair Center for the tech to come and fix the problem. A day or two later I received a call from the local Sears Repair Center and they too, didn't know what the machine was but were still going to send their tech out to fix it. It was going to take for the Sears guy two weeks to get here so I canceled the service call. I didn't want to wait nor did I feel comfortable with an untrained person fumbling with my machine. I ended calling LHR they had UPS pick it up, fixed the problem and had it back in two weeks.

pusher381
02-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi all. Just logged in and reviewed the FAQ but I have a question for those in NC or close by. I'm looking to buy a unit. I've had some bad experiences with Sears in the past, but that is just my experience, and want to purchase a unit. Does anyone have a good location to purchase at a fair price, knowledge, and good customer service? I don't want to take up Thread space so I'm including my email address. kd4wiw@bellsouth.net. I look forward to learning as much from everyone.

Secondly: I would like to cut some plastic (acrylic) has anyone used a coolant (mist) system with theirs or is it required?

Thanks,
Steve

Jeff_Birt
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Secondly: I would like to cut some plastic (acrylic) has anyone used a coolant (mist) system with theirs or is it required?

Not only is it not required, it would be a really bad idea as the machine is not designed like a conventional mill and any fluids would ruin it. :(

You can however add a small air blast (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3704&highlight=automatic) which helps to clear chips from around the bit and provides a bit of cooling. CW says you can cut certain plastics such as cast acrylics. Some plastics will just melt to the bit and ruin your day.

AskBud
02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi all. Just logged in and reviewed the FAQ but I have a question for those in NC or close by. I'm looking to buy a unit. I've had some bad experiences with Sears in the past, but that is just my experience, and want to purchase a unit. Does anyone have a good location to purchase at a fair price, knowledge, and good customer service? I don't want to take up Thread space so I'm including my email address. kd4wiw@bellsouth.net. I look forward to learning as much from everyone.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,
I saw a "Partners List", once, a few days ago but I can not locate it now.
Check this link (http://carvewright.com/article/show/id/8) you may be near one of these stores.
AskBud