PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from Fatal Exception 445

hetzerguitars
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Is there a way to recover from Fatal Exception 445 other than power off ?
I get it all the time. And no button seems to do it.

- Jim

Jeff_Birt
02-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Well Jim, what are you doing at the time it happens? I have gotten fatal errors when trying to do cut outs on a sled before but that is the only time I recall. I think any Fatal error is modal, requiring a reboot. With a bit more info sombody might be able to help.

hetzerguitars
02-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I get it at random times, always prior to starting a job, usually during the measuring process. Nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes I get it doing a number 7 measuring the board.

Jeff_Birt
02-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Does it happen when measuring the length or width? WHat is the thickness / color of your stock.

hetzerguitars
02-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Either one. Sometime it's cutting, sometimes, measuring. Got it scanning.

As for the color of stock? It's poplar. So tan I guess.

- Jim

Gunner
02-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Have you tried calibrating your machine yet? Page 41 of the manual describes how to do this. I try to re-calibrate approx. every 20 hours.

Gunner

hetzerguitars
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Will try tonight. Thanks.

- Jim

luckettg
02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Have you tried calibrating your machine yet? Page 41 of the manual describes how to do this. I try to re-calibrate approx. every 20 hours.

Gunner

I have not yet done this yet, and have noticed that the width measurement is off slightly. For instance a 5-7/16 width is measured as 5.04. I am glad you brought this up as it is something I will do before doing any more carving (about 3 hours worth so far). Every day I learn a bit more about the CW machine.:)
Thank you,
Greg Luckett
Michigan

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2008, 08:24 AM
I asked CW about a list of error numbers and causes yesterday. They have been working on such a list but in many cases the error# may not be directly meaningful to us as users.

When you encounter problems with any piece of equipment and it gives you an error number, usually the error number is not enough information to diagnose the problem. Think about it like this, you go to the doctor and say, "My toe hurts!". So the doctor can examine your toe, X-ray it, take an MRI and possibly still have no idea why your toe hurts, because he has very little information on the events that led up to your toe hurting. If on the other hand you would have said, "Doc, I got up last night to use the bathroom and kicked the bed, now my toe hurts.", the doctor would know the events that led up to the injury and realize that you just stubbed your toe.

So, while that was a simplistic example, I think you can see the point. CW is interested in any bug reports that we might have but the problem is they get lost in the multitude of other posts here and in lots of cases there is not enough information to be meaningful.

In the next few days I'll start a bug reporting thread with a set of guide lines for reporting bugs. Hopefully, this will allow us to help CW, which ultimately helps us.

Gunner
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Jeff,
Great idea, I'll be looking foward to seeing the thread.
As you stated the error number may not mean much to us as users but, an explanation of what the error number means may help us to determine what we did wrong in the first place. IE. " broken nose " >> I must have fallen down while drunk last night.