PDA

View Full Version : ability question

Lonewolf Photo
02-22-2008, 04:06 PM
I've seen the Ad for the craftsman and found this site and at this point I'm just teetering on whether to purchase this or not. My primary use for it would be to carve ornate designs into long pieces of wood to later use as picture frames. I was also going to use it to put in naming plaques carved right into the wood frames to add some gallery-like quality to the artistic sales pieces.

What I need to know is will this machine be able to take an 8 foot 2x6 or 1x6 and carve designs in the entire piece or will I have to build my frame pieces first and then put the smaller parts into the machine to decorate them? I do a very low volume right now so I'm not terribly frightened by the naysayers saying it doesn't last very long or work very fast. I just want to see if there is a market for the types of things I am planning on doing should I make the move into this equipment. If it pans out and demand is high then I'll look into a higher end machine but right now I just need to make sure this starter kit will indeed to full length boards as creating a design and matching up the art for 4 smaller pieces might not be worth the time it would take to do properly.

Also, if anyone else is doing framing with this machine I'd love to hear tips and tricks to get the most out of it for this purpose.

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I've seen the Ad for the craftsman and found this site and at this point I'm just teetering on whether to purchase this or not. My primary use for it would be to carve ornate designs into long pieces of wood to later use as picture frames. I was also going to use it to put in naming plaques carved right into the wood frames to add some gallery-like quality to the artistic sales pieces.

What I need to know is will this machine be able to take an 8 foot 2x6 or 1x6 and carve designs in the entire piece or will I have to build my frame pieces first and then put the smaller parts into the machine to decorate them? I do a very low volume right now so I'm not terribly frightened by the naysayers saying it doesn't last very long or work very fast. I just want to see if there is a market for the types of things I am planning on doing should I make the move into this equipment. If it pans out and demand is high then I'll look into a higher end machine but right now I just need to make sure this starter kit will indeed to full length boards as creating a design and matching up the art for 4 smaller pieces might not be worth the time it would take to do properly.

Also, if anyone else is doing framing with this machine I'd love to hear tips and tricks to get the most out of it for this purpose.

Hi Lone wolf,

The CW can handle almost any length board with the proper support (Roller stands). I just finished a 6'-6" long by 8" tall replica of the facade at Yankee stadium for a customer. It does some very nice detail as long as the "artwork" going in is nice. I've had mine since August 07, have over 150 hours cut time and had only one real problem which I caused myself. Most problems are user caused.

Here's a couple pictures I think will answer your questions. Hope this helps in your decision.

Chris

TIMCOSBY
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
i had a 8'scanning sled in it and it struggled a little. lost about 1/2" in overall length but was not noticeable because it was spread out over the 8". the sled and object were a little heavy say the same as a 2x10 maybe. 1x12 material should do o.k. but i haven't tried to carve anything that long yet.

a note to the scanner guys and girls on here if you do a long piece make your box around the scanned object a couple of inches bigger on each end so if it slips a little along the way you won't run out befor you get to the end of the scanned object.

TIMCOSBY
02-24-2008, 01:27 AM
13 hour carve on a 7'x1'x3/4" with no problems. i think it was the weight of the sled on the long scan.

ChrisAlb
02-24-2008, 03:03 AM
13 hour carve on a 7'x1'x3/4" with no problems. i think it was the weight of the sled on the long scan.

Alright TIM!! 13 hours huh? Can't wait to see it. Can you post a picture or two? Welcome to the 10+ hour club. Now I have someone to share the dues with! LOL

Chris

The "DH"
02-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Lonewolf, I carved 6' x 12" x 3/4 solid red oak with support on both sides no problem 5 hours to carve.

Still looking for that 10 plus hour project to join the club!!!!

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Trying to find my way into the 10 hour club too. I guess you would have to post the pic to back it up. Sounds good. As for the gentleman asking about carving the moldings for picture frames, heres my take. You had said you were doing low volume which may make the carvewright the right machine for you. If you were too buy a planer/molder that would set you back about $1200 plus the knives are about 175.00 to 250.00 for their designs. Then abother $100.00 for the relief. Of course thats a good idea if your into large orders of molding. With the carvewright, you dont need any knives and have unlimited ability to design your own. Plus you will have all the other capabilities of the machine. Yes the machine has its problems but i believe most of mine were user related. Its a complicated machine and must be treated as such. Just do some research and im sure youll find what you need.

TIMCOSBY
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Alright TIM!! 13 hours huh? Can't wait to see it. Can you post a picture or two? Welcome to the 10+ hour club. Now I have someone to share the dues with! LOL

Chris

then to find out the pattern was possibly stolen #%*@%

ChrisAlb
02-25-2008, 06:30 AM
then to find out the pattern was possibly stolen #%*@%

Oh man Tim, that would truly suck! But even so, you're membership in the 10+ club is safe. You STILL did the 13 hour carve. A small consolation I know.