PDA

View Full Version : Help please (board sensor)

skeeterman
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Just got compucarve, started to do first project, and i get a fault (clear board senser) I do so to no avail. I go thrue the menu and run the test as trouble shooting guide shows, and it reads (cover switch closed)
Help !! not sure what to do!

Ken Massingale
02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I've only had that with a dark stained board. Search for 'Clear board sensor', there are several threads with solutions.
Good luck with your new CC

scw
02-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Just got compucarve, started to do first project, and i get a fault (clear board senser) I do so to no avail. I go thrue the menu and run the test as trouble shooting guide shows, and it reads (cover switch closed)
Help !! not sure what to do!

I have that trouble with walnut.
try a piece of masking tape along the edges of the board...make sure you board has a straight egde on the keyboard side...make sure it isn't warped.

skeeterman
02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I have pine in machine it is light colored.
does the lights show on the sensor when looking at it , I have put miror under and no infered light is on, been looking at other post, saying to take apart, not sure about that!, it is brand new,no hours on it at all

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Have you checked you Machines board sensor reading?
Turn the machine on, after the Greeting press "0" "7" to check the onboard sensors, the first will be the close cover sensor --- open or closed
use the up and down arrows to fine the board sensor -- with the pressure rollers compressed on the project board
you should get a reading around "150" now crank the machine head up and the reading should quickly drop to "0"
what is your highest reading?

Incorrect roller pressure can also cause a board sensor error, it should be around 85lbs at 5 clicks of the ratchet handle
pressures to high or to low can both cause an error, check the roller pressure with a bath room scale
What is your roller pressure?

Quote -- I have put mirror under and no infered light is on -- the way they work and the way their mounted I doubt
you could see if they were on or not --- last resort is taking them apart -- I would Deffinitely call LHR Service before I'd take anything apart.

skeeterman
02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
shop is about 200 yards away so i have a delay in answering back, no internet at shop .
iT SHOWED SENSOR CLOSED, ,FRONT ROLLER COMPRESEDBACK ROLLOR COMPRESSED, BOARD SENSOR 0
Have no bathroom scales , wife wont allow them around house Ha Ha.

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Still in the board sensor mode, with the machines head cranked up,
move a playing card sized piece up to and touching the bottom of the "Y' truck where the sensor is mounted
to see if you still get a "0" reading.
If so there may be a loose wire connection or loose plug at the circuit board that needs to be reseated.
--- I'm not at my shop computer so I don't have the photos to show you where to look. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
When you talk to LHR, if they determine the board sensor is bad,
They'll send you a new one, remember there's a $5.00 core charge
that the will refund to to you when you send the bad sensor back to them.

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
shop is about 200 yards away so i have a delay in answering back, no internet at shop .
iT SHOWED SENSOR CLOSED, ,FRONT ROLLER COMPRESEDBACK ROLLOR COMPRESSED, BOARD SENSOR 0
Have no bathroom scales , wife wont allow them around house Ha Ha.

Just a shot here but, if you're getting a O reading with the board in there and rollers compressed, I think that can only mean one of three things. The sensor is so dirty it can't see (unlikely as you say it's never been used).

The board sensor is bad or the wire to it isn't connected. I would advise calling LHR first thing and let a tech walk you through some test steps.

Chris

skeeterman
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I moved the machine to the garage, so i could have it close to my computer, and lo and behold, it is working now!!!
worked on first piece , (disaster) working on another now. Thanks to all that helped.

Jeff_Birt
02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
How warm is the shop you had it in? If the machine is cold it won't crank down properly and the board sensor won't work properly.

skeeterman
02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
shop was around 50 degrees,

Jeff_Birt
02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
That is right on the edge of being OK. The guide bushings are a precise fit on the vertical guide posts. Too cold a temperature and they will bind causing the clutch to start clicking before you have enough pressure on the board. Also, optical circuits can get quite funky just a few degrees lower than 50 and cause other problems. I have found that by warming my shop up to 55-60 degrees those types of problems cease.

ChrisR
02-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I just had my first "clear board sensor" message. Looks like it's not too uncommon. I have done everything I found on this forum (thanks to all those who posted, it helped a bunch!), but my sensor readings are still no higher than 20 on top of a bright, clear piece of yellow pine. 20 tells me that the sensor is working (sort of), but is way too low to let the machine function.

Here's what I did:

removed board, re-vacuumed the machine (I always vacuum after each job), brushed under sensor w/ soft paint brush, reinserted board, problem not fixed

removed board again, powered machine off and unplugged, used shop rag to wipe sensor, plugged back in, turned back on, inserted new board, problem not fixed. Checked sensor reading: 0

removed board, power off and unplug, raised head, removed 2 screws holding sensor, unplugged sensor from wiring. There was quite a bit of fine dust _behind_ the sensor window. I was successful in clearing the window w/ shop vac (used as suction and blower). Reconnected, reassembled, replugged, turned on, inserted wood. Checked sensor reading: 20

This morning I tried some of the suggestions I found about shining an LED near the sensor. No effect. I was surprised to see the suggestion and reports of success. If this is an IR sensor, I would not expect visible light to have much impact, but I'll try suggestions.

Any more suggestions? Thanks so much.

lviele
02-23-2008, 01:36 PM
How warm is the shop you had it in? If the machine is cold it won't crank down properly and the board sensor won't work properly.

I will second the comments about a cold shop, It takes a while for the machin to warm up, so even if you have turned the heat on it will take some time
for the sensor,I had the same problem until I discovered the sun shining on the machine, I shaded the machine and the problem went away.

ChrisR
02-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks Iviele. My machine is in a good room adjoining climate controlled space. I don't have HVAC vents in the shop room, but the tempterature doesn't drop below 65 or climb above 85. Kinda nice digs for a wood shop!

On a lark I tried something. With the LCD showing the board sensor reading, I put in a board and used my shop vac to blow under the sensor. The readings began to fluctuate from as low as 20 to as high as about 130. I stopped with it holding at 123 and told the machine to measure the width. Success!

Sadly, the saga is not at the end. To confirm that the machine operates, I ran a jointing pass on the board. No problem. I turned the board around to joint the other side and ran into a "clear board sensor" message again.

I did the blower routine again, same results. Jointed the other side of the board. Same problem. One operation and the sensor goes back to 0.

This is just bizarre. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

hotpop
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
ChrisR

I had a simular problem. There are four little wires that run down a channel from a pc board to the sensor. On mine LHR had to replace the wires because they were pinched or one was broken. From the pc board side make sure these wires are free to move.

The other thing to check is make sure the ribbon cable is all the way in the connector on the same pc board. If it looks like is cocked coming out of the connector just push it in so its straight.

Good Luck!

Rick
02-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Use a mirror to look at board sensor it helps to also use a flash light we have had numeros problems with this and it usualy is a fine layer of dust on lens, Use air compressor to blow the dust out.

ChrisR
05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
I know there has been a long, long gap since the last post on this thread, but my sensor issues have been ongoing and I may finally be getting a solution.

Ever since my first sensor problem, when I start my CompuCarve (the Craftsman version of the machine), I consistently have a sensor reading of 26 to 29--VERY low. I wipe the sensor using a shop towel wetted with mineral spirits, and I can usually raise the reading into the 40s. The highest I ever got was 47. Nothing to brag about, but it would make the machine function.

I have used a vacuum and a compressor to keep the sensor very clean, so dust is not the problem. In fact, if I use my compressor to blow dust after wiping the sensor with mineral spirits, the mineral spirits evaporate and the reading goes back down into the 20s.

I spoke with support today. Hallelujah, they are going to send me a new sensor if I call them back on a week day. I'll post an update and let you know how the replacement works.

Happy carving soon (I hope...)

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
If you use a piece of white copy paper that will give you a meaningful number to judge the sensor data. Wood has too many variables as does your finger...

With white copy paper you should get 140 - 156 with a good reading and a 40 or ZERO would be bad.

The board color makes a difference, masking tape helps on dark wood.

The board detector has 2 LED's that shine IR light on the board and a Receiver in the center. All in all there are 6 wires going from the circuit board to the plastic holder with the LED's and sensor. As the board vibrates the wires to the LED's and sensor break from metal fatigue. Eventually the board falls off the holder.

The new improved board detectors are dipped in Epoxie or something to make a mechanical connection to from the board to the plastic ENDING the failures. GOOD JOB LHR !!!!

The last batch of 3 sensors I bought were just before the Epoxie so I have not seen one yet...

You might have ONE LED wire broken reducing the reading.

Good Luck,

AL

TIMCOSBY
06-02-2008, 01:58 AM
the inside of the plastic window so i got to open it up to clean it. and if you open it up if you have a broken one it will fall out in your hand or on the floor.