PDA

View Full Version : flexshaft lubrication

newcarver
02-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Shortly after I first got my machine over a year ago I was propmted to lube the flexshaft.That was within the first 2 months, I have not since been prompted to do so by the machine. Anyone have any idea when the machine asks this? I have done it several times without the machine asking, just curious why the machine has not asked this again, thinking the firmware was changed somewhere along the lines and it was takned out by lhr.

Bill
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
hi newcarver,
In reguards to being prompted to lube the flexshaft by the machine check out the thread below post #5 by Chris Rawls CarveWright Engineer . This should answer your question.
Bill.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13837#post13837

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
The only way the CW or CC machine informs or prompt you,
that it's time to lube the Flex-Shaft unfortunately, is by Over Heating.
By them the damage may have already begun.

Some folks suggest lubricating after every 20 hours of carving,
others suggest it's time when ever the Flex-Shaft begins to feel more than just moderately warm to the touch.
And still others use infrared theometers to check all the different spots on the machine that may generate heat.

I use the last 2 myself and have gone more than 40 hour with the Flex-Shaft never getting hot or going over 90 Degrees

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
In my opinion i think its a good idea to have an inexpensive infared thermometer and therefore be able to monitor your flexshaft temperatures. Ive been able to gauge how a properly lubed flexshaft performs from the beginning, an hour into carve, etc. and come up with a basis of temperatures and when i see significant increases in temperatures in same time periods and amount of run time, then i decide its time for another flexshaft lube. I dont know if theres an actual time period or explanation on this by carvewright or LHR. I just pretty much use my own judgement. If I think im running hot im surely not going to wait on a machine prompt if there is one. I dont know if my procedure is the correct procedure but it works for me through my experience and is only my own opinion.

Icutone2
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Just lubed mine for the first time. Thought there was at least 20 hours on it, as it had a hot spot in it. checked the time and it had 22.35 hours on it. Never got a warning or nothing. Lubed it with the Gunk Chain Lube overnight and I have over 40 hours and no more hot spots. From reading the Form I found that the Hand test is a sure way to monitor the shaft heat. Thank You for all the help from the Form and all the Great members

Ver 1.125
Lee