PDA

View Full Version : X-Axis gear lube

ChrisAlb
02-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm about to reassemble my CW after a complete tear down and cleaning this morning. Does anyone know if the plastic X-Axis drive gears require lube? If so, what's the recommended kind?

I'm using a lithium based molly on the spindles but wasn't sure if the plastic teeth themselves needed any and haven't found any info in the forum or the various manuals.

Thanks

Chris

hotpop
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Chris,

If the gearing is totally enclosed I would say a little lube wouldn't hurt but the CW has to many nooks and crannies for dust to collect. I would think a dry lube would be OK.

ChrisAlb
02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Mel,

That's sort of the conclusion I came to. Man you wouldn't believe how deep the dust was behind the keypad side cover. It had to be 3" deep and I vacuum out everything I can get to before, during and after each carve. I'll have to do this more often it would seem. Anyway, all back together and I'm going to start a simple carve just to make sure it all still works...lol

And oh, the x-axis gears had quite a bit of play before I took it apart. I noticed a jerky motion on the last carve which is what prompted me to do this. All tight and right again.

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2008, 01:49 PM
About 6 months ago this topic came up and there was a suggestion about grease and a warning that some grease could dissolve the plastic making it weaker.

I think the grease you used will be fine.

Good Job,

AL

ChrisAlb
02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I decided to strip down my machine completely this morning to give it a thorough cleaning. So I armed myself with the Assembly Guide and Parts List, a cup of coffee, my radio, tool box and my 5 gallon shop vac.

I carefully reviewed the Guide before each step I took to identify the parts I’d find along the way. Well, the guide makes no mention of the 8 steel shims that live (2 each) between the top of the 4 Vertical Guide Rods #(25) and the bottom of the Lateral Stabilizing Casting Assemblies #(145).

Well, evidently these shims were “stuck” to the top of the rods via a little grease so they didn’t just “fall” out when I took it apart. So I’m singing along to the tunes, sipping my coffee and vacuuming away. When at the last of the vertical post’s, a break in the radio station comes along and I hear…SLAP jingle… jingle …..jingle going down the vac hose. Hearing that startled me so in a natural reaction, I jerk the hose away knocking my coffee onto the radio producing a very cute little curl of smoke to rise through the air….lol Too bad too, the station “was” playing some pretty good tunes. Ah yes, can we say…Roadrunner & Coyote? …LOL

So now I’m sifting through a 5 gallon, 3/4 full of sawdust shop vac with a magnet. I’ve found two. Can’t seem to find the other 6. I don’t know if they’re still in there or somewhere else at this point. I’ve scoured the floor, the table and yep, still sifting……. So now I sit here with a disassembled machine and going nowhere.

I found them all and yep, they were all in the shop vac. Now if I only had some music……LOL Found an additional little bonus as well. A C clip and I have no idea where it came from. I have both of the ones for the x-axis gears. Sure hope the parts guide tells me this one.

Lessons learned, Don’t assume the parts list is complete AND if you’re gonna use a shop vac during this, make sure you EMPTY it first…lol

DocWheeler
02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Chris,

When my machine came back from Texas this last time, after a major overhaul, there were washers like those under the top where it fastened to the back also. It appears that the new Z motor needs additional room to keep from hitting the top.
This is a typical problem when updates are made while trying to still use original design features.

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Look at the cogged pulleys on the Y and Z for the C Clip you found.

Sounds like fun.....

Turned out my dead R1800 printer was a full ink waste tank from all the cleaning. A software utility will reset the counter I found.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Chris,

When my machine came back from Texas this last time, after a major overhaul, there were washers like those under the top where it fastened to the back also. It appears that the new Z motor needs additional room to keep from hitting the top.
This is a typical problem when updates are made while trying to still use original design features.

I had to sand some of the plastic off when I upgraded.

AL

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 04:50 AM
Chris,

Hi Ken,

So I take it that must mean I have that (Z-motor?). I've seen lots of posts about it but never having a problem I just didn't pay much attention to it.

I bought my CW in August of 07. Did they have the new Z-motor in them by then? Also, is this what is refered to as the Z-pack?

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 05:09 AM
Look at the cogged pulleys on the Y and Z for the C Clip you found.

Sounds like fun.....

Turned out my dead R1800 printer was a full ink waste tank from all the cleaning. A software utility will reset the counter I found.

AL

Hey Al,

Both of those pulleys have their C clips. The one I found would be to big for them as well. I'm scouring the Parts guide to see if there are any more in the CW. It's possible although unlikely it's from something else I was working on and got sucked up when cleaning my bench.

I let you know if I find it's from the CW.

Glad you found the problem with the R1800. All things should be that easy a fix.

Update:
Well apparently this clip has no place in the CW at least by "this" parts list. I scoured both the diagrams and the worded list and found no reference to it at all. I DID however, find that "this" parts list must be for an older version machine because it doesn't lsit the X -Axis gear clips either. So beware folks, This list "might" not have everything on your machine and "might" also list things not on your machine.

scw
02-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi Ken,

So I take it that must mean I have that (Z-motor?). I've seen lots of posts about it but never having a problem I just didn't pay much attention to it.

I bought my CW in August of 07. Did they have the new Z-motor in them by then? Also, is this what is refered to as the Z-pack?

The new z-motor has a black finned heat sink attached to the rear of the motor body, the original motor did not have this...that is a simple visual test.
The "z-pak" contains the new motor, a junction board with locking connectors and a ribbon cable , and a small circuit board that mounts to the z motor assembly which eliminates the connector for the homing sensor.

I have installed the z-pak myself and have had no problem with "clearance" that involved washers added to the top of the rails.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 07:23 AM
The new z-motor has a black finned heat sink attached to the rear of the motor body, the original motor did not have this...that is a simple visual test.
The "z-pak" contains the new motor, a junction board with locking connectors and a ribbon cable , and a small circuit board that mounts to the z motor assembly which eliminates the connector for the homing sensor.

I have installed the z-pak myself and have had no problem with "clearance" that involved washers added to the top of the rails.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Thanks scw,

Ok, here's a picture of mine. The fins aren't "black" and it appears they are on "top" of the motor not the back. In any case, can you tell whether I have the new or old? If it's any help, my CW still (homes)

Chris

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey Chris,

Here's a photo that Al posted a while back "The Old and The New"

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Morning Ken,

Silly me...LOL...I should have know I could just "sift" through Al's posts and more than likely find a picture, description, exploded parts view and probably the installation instructions...LOL.

Thanks buddy, Seems pretty obvious now that I have the old one. My machine runs almost flawlessly with over 120hrs (cut motor) now. So holding to my long term belief, if ain't broke, don't fix it. But it is nice to know which I have.

Thanks again!