PDA

View Full Version : Making cabinet doors

natman
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Can you glue together 2 1x8's and still carve them out. I am trying to make cabinet doors for my kitchen and want to carve the center out. Does anyone have a better idea. Someone had told me plywood but I don't thing it would work carving that out.

fwharris
02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Can you glue together 2 1x8's and still carve them out. I am trying to make cabinet doors for my kitchen and want to carve the center out. Does anyone have a better idea. Someone had told me plywood but I don't thing it would work carving that out

natman,
If you are asking about making panels with 1x8'x yes you can. just make sure you have good edges and flat surfaces.

natman
02-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Have another question? This is Natman's wife. I have been trying to learn the program. What is the Maximum width you can put into the carvewright. I am designing the cabinet doors. He is just cutting them out. I need 1x15x30.

ChrisAlb
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Have another question? This is Natman's wife. I have been trying to learn the program. What is the Maximum width you can put into the carvewright. I am designing the cabinet doors. He is just cutting them out. I need 1x15x30.

Hi Mrs. natman,

The maximum width in one piece for the CW is 14.5". A possible approach would be to carve a separate panel to mount on the front of two 7.5" boards glued together. I've made several cabinet doors wider than 15 with great success.

Chris

Rickrljones
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM

If you prefer not to use the suggestion presented by Chris, an alternative solution would be to carve your design on a 1" x 12" stock and glue filler blocks on each side to achieve your over all width.

Router-Jim
02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
You could also add 2" of trim around the panel. A rail and stile so to speak.

I made a bunch of panels like these which will receive a rail and stile.