PDA

View Full Version : An experiment of sorts

Amonaug
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Still learning stuff but think I'm getting the hang of it. My main field is 3D art and animation and this is a great machine to merge with that hobby.

Attached is a lightswitch (ignore the dimensions it's simply an exercise). How would I carve out the design just on the outside? I've tried many ways but have come up short on all of them. It would be really simple to just be able to erase the part of the outline patterns I don't want.

newcarver
02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Just press and hold down ctl on your keyboard and left click on your mouse the outlines you dont want.

Amonaug
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Am I missing something? All that does is select certain designs that I click on.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I want to keep all the designs BUT cutout the ouside of the entire project along the design outlines, I don't wat to cut along EACH design. I want to kind of merge all the design outlines into 1 continous outline and delete the inside of the outline leaving only the outside pattern and cut along that.

DrBob
02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I think this is what you are looking for?

Amonaug
02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I think this is what you are looking for?

That is it, now explain how you did that please :D

Edit, nevermind I figured it out. :)
1. Select all the patterns
2. Select outline patterns
3. That produces 2 seperate patterns, and inside and an outside.

Select the inside one and delete and cutout the outside one.

Thanks!

DrBob
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Amonaug
That is the way but take a closer look at the depth setting, this is were you have to find the right settings to get the outline to do what you want.
Glad to Help

woodpf
02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I wanted to do something similar but much simpler. I took a picture of a toy man. I imported it and wanted to cut it out. I was going to use the cut path feature but I don't know how to come up with the path. Suggestions?

DrBob
02-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Hi woodpf

1. Select the pattern
2. Select outline pattern
3. That produces many seperate patterns, inside and an outside
4. look for the one that outlines outside the whole pattern in the left side list and delete all others.
If you dont get what you want the first time, take a closer look at the depth and hight setting, this is were you have to find the right settings to get the outline to do what you want. sometimes you have to lighten the pattern cavre depth or hight to get the outline
repeat steps 1,2,3.
Then you can change the pattern depth back to what you want after you choose the cut out

hotpop
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
woodpf

I took a picture of a toy man. I imported it and wanted to cut it out. I was going to use the cut path feature but I don't know how to come up with the path.

If you just imported a picture then the only pattern outline you will get is a rectangle of the whole picture.

You need to edit the picture before bringing the picture into the Designer. In a graphics editor you need to erase everything you do not want. Save it as a .png file then import the file into Designer. Now Patten Outline will surround the image you want to cut out.

I'll be glad to help you with it if you need help with it.

woodpf
02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks much for the help. I will try these when I get back home.

Best -