PDA

View Full Version : Cutpath with Sled

dbfletcher
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Is there anyways to use the cut path option when using a sled? I really like being able to "draw" a part by actual dimensions and then use the cut path function to specify on which side of the line to cut. But it seems this ALWAYS cuts through the entire board (regardless of what thickness the board is set to in designer). My only workaround so far is to add 1/8 to all of dimensions, and just select the bit and depth. I hope someone can follow what I'm saying and I am even more hopefull that someone has a workaround.

Thanks, Doug Fletcher

TIMCOSBY
02-20-2008, 02:20 AM
vectors you can now offset 1/2 the width of the bit. think it started in 1.125 haven't used it so i can't tell you where its at but someone will.

TIMCOSBY
02-20-2008, 02:23 AM
when you select the bit for the vector line theres a box at the bottom called inset. i suppose a negative number would put it on the other side of the line.

twehr
02-20-2008, 07:35 AM
when you select the bit for the vector line theres a box at the bottom called inset. i suppose a negative number would put it on the other side of the line.

The max offset is .125" (or -.125"). If you are using the 1/8" bit, it is fine. If using larger, it will still only move the path +/- .125", regardless of what you type in.

DocWheeler
02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
dbfletcher,

If you set your depth of cut (route) to the board thickness or a little less, you can cut the "carving" without scratching the sled. Keep in mind that you do not want any pieces to get lose and cause the bit to jamb. You can use good double-stick tape, some other fastener, or don't quite cut all the way through. Not difficult, you just need to get comfortable with what you are doing.

You can even cut all the way through and stop the machine before it finishes the last couple of inches if you are confident enough.

With the 1/8" bit, you want to set the offset to -0.063" to cut around the outside.